cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TELEPHONE LANDLINE OUT OF ACTION

IllyricumSW0854
Joining in

Landline out of action from 11 July 2022. I am unable to make or receive calls. Every attempt to report problem via Virgin website sends me in ever decreasing circles though I do understand that there are no outage problems in my area - Northampton NN3 / Area 031. Virgin website tells me now that my email is not recognised / my password is not recognised / my mother's maiden name is not recognised. If there really is no outage problem in NN3, I need an engineer. Any ideas?

13 REPLIES 13

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @IllyricumSW0854, and a very warm welcome to you!

I'm terribly sorry to hear of the issues you've been experiencing with the landline services.

Can you please confirm for me if you're on the landline service that requires connection to the older copper wires/master socket in your home, or does this currently run through your router?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Dear David

Thank you for your most kind response and warm welcome. 

Oh dear - not an expert on these matters. The telephone plugs in to a plastic box (originally BT I think) in the living room so I guess it must be the old copper system. It was originally an NTL service and I have been a TV / Broadband / Landline customer from the beginning. 

My telephones (2) are new (less than a year old) and there are no obvious problems apparent. 

Thank you again - I'm very grateful for your help. 

Trevor

Thanks for coming back to m @IllyricumSW0854, can you please unplug the handset that is connected to the extension socket - leaving just the one handset connected to the master socket, to then see if you have a dial tone and are able to both make and receive calls on your landline phone number?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Dear David

I'm so sorry - I should have been more explicit in my earlier response. I have an answer 'phone that plugs into a 13 amp outlet and the 'BT' socket. The second telephone plugs into a 13 amp socket but there is no telephone point. The slave unit in which the second telephone sits simply has a wire to a transformer plug. I have disconnected the second 'phone but it has made no difference.  

Trevor

Thanks for coming back to me, can you confirm if you have a dial tone at all? 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Dear David

No dial tone. 

When I punch in a number, there is a silent interval of a couple of seconds - then I hear beeps corresponding to the number I have inserted. When I punch in 150, for instance, I hear three beeps after the interval. Then - nothing at all. Total silence. 

Trevor

Thanks for coming back to me.

I'll take some details from you, and arrange for an engineer to be booked in for you.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for my private message.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Thanks for coming back to me @IllyricumSW0854 via private message.

I've been able to book in an engineer for you, and details of this visit can be found via your self-care account or My Virgin Media application.

As well as viewing the appointment, you will also be able to alter this, or even cancel if this is not at a convenient time for you.

Do please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is able to accommodate the engineer, and be advised that failure to allow our engineer access to work on the fault, would result in a £25.00 charge, that would be reflected on your following bill.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Dear David

Thank you so much once again. I am most grateful for your help in this matter.

It has been a great pleasure communicating with you.

Kindest regards. 

Trevor