cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switchover from landline has failed, so far.

DJW13
Tuning in

I had the letter in March saying the landline would be switched off on 6 June. I later received the adapter to plug into my hub. I assumed that there would be a follow-up email in June to confirm the action date, but nothing was received. I discovered it had happened when I didn't get a call I was expecting from someone.

I tested the connection into the hub by using a corded Cable & Wireless CWP200 which had previously been plugged into the landline. I picked up the receiver and there was a dial tone. I then tested that it could receive calls by ringing on the mobile, but nothing appeared to happen. I then discovered that the test call was connecting but the phone wasn't ringing!

I then tried to connect by using my cordless phone, a Panasonic KX-TG7120E. This doesn't work at all - no dial tone. So far I have tried re-booting the router; used a different cable between the phone and the hub, in case it was damaged when I moved it from the kitchen to the study; had a call to Virgin on 150. The first technician couldn't help so transferred me to a manager. She couldn't think of anything to do that would help, although she may have tried something in the background, as she did go away to do something then rang be back on my mobile. She did suggest I used a different phone, but as I don't have one presumably I have to go off and buy one? There is of course no guarantee that this will work either.

It's really disappointing that a system that was working perfectly before (and would continue to work in a power cut) has been replaced by something that so far doesn't work for me, and may involve me in extra expense to make operative.

I hope someone can suggest a solution that will result in my cordless phone working again.

24 REPLIES 24

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi DJW13, 

Thank you for your post. 

I am sorry to hear about the issues you've been having since the change over - I can appreciate it must be frustrating. I think you've provided me with enough information to say that it might be best to send you a private message so I can take a look into this for you. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

DJW13
Tuning in

My message was picked up by Ryan_N to action and I sent him a private message as requested. However, I have not heard anything further and wonder if he is in today?

mar45
On our wavelength

my landline isn't working properly - I can ring out on my home phone to mobile but when I try ringing my mobile to home phone land line it rings once then cuts off which also happens I've been informed by family & friends when they try to ring my home phone land line.

Also I have had no notification about a hub & know nothing about it. After reading on here about needing to know what zone I'm in I dialled the number & was informed BLUE. Where can I find out more about this change, & have you any suggestions about my land line please

Hi @DJW13 thanks for your further post.

I can confirm that we have received your PM to Ryan but unfortunately he had finished for the day by your message yesterday and isn't in until tomorrow - please be assured your message will be picked up by him then and responded to.

Also hi @mar45 thanks for your post, although I'm sorry you're having problems with your landline at the moment.

All of our phones are aimed to be switched over to the fibre network by the end of this year, and you can find out more here. If you've had no notifications yet about switching over then don't worry, it'll be because you might be on the last phase of the rollout - you'll hear about this in due course when you're being switched over.

In terms of your landline issue, can you confirm if it's just mobile phones that cause the one-ring error to your landline, or does this happen when other landlines call you too?

Many thanks

Tom_W

mar45
On our wavelength

hi.  Thanks for replying so quickly.  The calls are a mixture of landline to mobile &  landline to landline.  Just got my daughter to phone me using both options again in case there was any improvement but unfortunately there is none  

Regards

mar45
On our wavelength

I am also able when at home to call my mobile (which is virgin) from the landline & speak to my OH with no problem

.Hope this helps 

regards

I was pleased to read that Ryan would be in today - has he arrived yet?

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies for the delay - it was today I was back in, sorry for any confusion. I will reply to your message now 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

I was pleased to see that you are back and will be dealing with my query. It would be useful to have a working phone again - do I need to book an appointment with an engineer?