Menu
WestOf
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Switching from BT to Virgin

Hello, got VM installed yesterday and my old phone number from BT hasn't switched over, I did include this option when I initially signed up. Does anyone know if it takes a few days or if it should have been instant?

thanks

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Switching from BT to Virgin

it can take a few days. You also need to have your BT account/line active without a request to cancel it

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Between 5 and 10 days to switch. Well done you for requesting this at the outset. You did it right. Come back if the switch hasn't happened within 5 days or so.

You did leave your BT subscription in place, didn't you. A switch always fails if you closed your BT account before the switch happens. And your old number is irretrievable. You did leave the BT phone line to overlap? It closes when the switch is complete.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
WestOf
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I haven't done anything with my BT subscription, the VM guy I spoke to said they would handle the switch over so I wouldn't need to do anything i.e phone them up and cancel. I can still access the BT TV app on my fire stick so I assume it's still active.

Not sure what you mean by leaving the BT phone line to overlap?

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You've done it right. What I meant was you've done it right to leave your BT line operational while the transfer takes place so you have two phone lines for the moment. After transfer you'll only have the VM line with your old number.

0 Kudos
WestOf
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks for the help. I'll leave it and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Westof.

We can see that it is not yet installed on the account, was this a quickstart install or a manned install? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@WestOf wrote:

I haven't done anything with my BT subscription, the VM guy I spoke to said they would handle the switch over so I wouldn't need to do anything i.e phone them up and cancel. I can still access the BT TV app on my fire stick so I assume it's still active.

Not sure what you mean by leaving the BT phone line to overlap?

If you have a BT TV subscription this will continue, as it is not connected to your Broadband account. Be aware that having a BT TV account does not give you access to the BT Sports channels on Virgin, nor does subscribing to BT Sports through Virgin give you access to the BT Sports app.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

WestOf
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It was a manned install yesterday.

0 Kudos
WestOf
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

ok hadn't thought of that, just assumed because it was an all in one BT bundle that it would all end with the switchover but will phone them up to check after my number has transferred over. Thanks.

0 Kudos