Menu
sep8001
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Switching Home Phone After Go Live

Hi

Thinking of moving to Virgin for my BB and Phone, and have a question.

Would I be able to switch my home phone line which is with Plusnet say a month or two after going live with VM?

Thank you

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Switching Home Phone After Go Live

Yes you can do that 

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As VM use their own cables and don't use your BT/Plusnet phone line to provide services it is possible, but would probably cost more.  You usually get better deals when you take more than one service from VM.  Taking BB first and tying yourself into a contract may not allow you to get the best deal when you later add a phone line.  Financially it would probably be more prudent to take both services at the same time.

Can I ask why you want to delay the phone move?

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I was under the impression the OP was going to have an overlap on phonelines, i.e have 2 till plusnet can be cancelled
sep8001
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott,

As above I would have an overlap and then migrate the number across at a later date so I am not out of service at anytime.

Thank you all for the comments.

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@sep8001 That should be fine, just request the number port to VM before you start the cancellation of your Plusnet line.  The process seems to work more smoothly with an active line rather than one that has started the cancellation process.

Sorry for misunderstanding your original post.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Melissa_F
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi sep8001,

Thanks for your post.

Yes, you can transfer your number over to us anytime, provided that the line is still active with your old provider. We will install with a Virgin Media number which is yours to keep unless we receive a number transfer request.

This would mean that you would temporarily be paying 2 providers until the number is transfer is complete.

After the number has been completely transferred, we would advise you to contact Plusnet to ensure the account is fully closed. 

Thank you,

Melissa 

Y10RNS
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

well my experience is that once they fit the modem all your BT socket are useless to you as you have to use the modem Line1 socket.

if you want to re-wire your home then feel free but be warned!

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @Y10RNS

Thank you for your post.  

Please could you expand on the issues that you are facing? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
Y10RNS
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zak,

the engineer is due to visit now from VM to assess the situation.

Basically, the previous house line system VM had (analogue) run through the BT lines around the house. So you could plug in a phone wherever ther was a BT socket which in general was wired before we bought the house. This was never a problem as VM were simply able to convert the cables to use existing cables/sockets. 

The new (digital) system forces the user to plug the phone directly into the modem Line 1/2. This creates a problem immediately because the modem is situated in the middle of the house (as recommended by VM at some point) which renders the BT sockets and wiring useless! This means we have to rewire the whole house back to the Modem.

Regards

Y10RNS

0 Kudos