cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to fibre

johnsale
Joining in

I have received an email saying that my phone line will be switching to fibre in April. My hub is currently in a different room to the telephone main socket. I will therefore presumably need to have the main telephone socket moved to be nearer to my hub. How do I go about booking an appointment to have this sorted out?

11 REPLIES 11

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there johnsale,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

With regards to this, we'll be able to book a technician around the switchover date.

I've dropped you a PM so we can get the necessary details sorted.

The message will appear within the purple envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain

I've had the same email about a switch and after a very unsatisfactory time trying to speak to someone about this (as instructed in the email), I eventually spoke to someone I could barely understand and had to repeat points ad nauseam! She finally told me to expect a text with details about the technician visit and another to rate her call (asked for 9 or 10, no chance!). I told her that both my wife and I work 3 days a week, so only 2 days are suitable. She basically ignored this and said 'read the text', which I am still waiting for.

A letter detailing information about the 'switch to fibre' was mentioned, which we never received!

All in all not a very satisfactory experience which took about 3 times longer than it should have.

Hi there @ozsteve

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums, I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened and you have not yet had your text. 

I'd be more than happy to check this for you via a PM, I'll pop one across now, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you. 

ApplePie1216
Tuning in

Hi,

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong however as far as I am aware, Virgin are removing the use of telephone sockets entirely, and are moving to plugging telephones into the back of your Wi-Fi router instead of a telephone box  - meaning that your phone line runs from your Wi-Fi connection and no longer a ADSL connection. 

In my opinion this is a silly idea as think of the elderly who do not have the use of a mobile phone, in the event of a power cut they would have nothing to contact anyone with. 

Hi there @ApplePie1216

This is correct all landline lines will be moving to Hub connections however this is a government initiated change over and all line with all providers will be changing over with the completion aim to be 2025.

We do have a back up battery in case of an emergency so the line can still be used to call for emergency services, if this is needed a customer can request it to be installed with the change over, we also ask questions when setting up the change over to assess whether a customer would need the back up.

Thank you.

Hi, after arranging an original date of 7th Feb for this 'switch to fibre' and confirmation, Virginmedia asked me, by SMS, to move it forward to today (30/1). I said YES to this and they msgd back saying it would be in the am.

It is now 1pm and nobody has turned up!!! Let's just say that I am less than impressed at having to stay in all morning for one of your technicians to turn up............and he doesn't.

What is going on?

Hi @ozsteve

Really sorry to hear that the appointment has not gone ahead as rearranged with the SMS - did you get full confirmation that the appointment had been changed? If you have any further questions or concerns regarding this, I can see that you are in an open private message with my colleague regarding this, they'll be able to assist you  further on the same private thread if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

I'm still waiting for someone/anyone to help me. I did not get FULL confirmation of the re-arranged appointment, it seems. I want to re-schedule the original appointment as I cannot be available on the 7th Feb, which was the original date.

And I cannot re-schedule through the app because the appointment doesn't even show in the app!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!