cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch over from BT copper to digital telephone

jenfamily1
Dialled in

Hi everyone,

Whilst reporting an issue a couple of weeks ago to Virgin regards not being able to retrieve my 1571 messages, which transpired to be an 'outage' the advisor surprisingly asked if my telephone was fitted to the wall socket ( copper ) or connected to the router / hub! I informed him it was still copper but didn't think BT or anyone else was going to change to digital for another 12 -18 months! Consequently Virgin are coming tomorrow to initiate the change over.

What I'd like to ask is why is it necessary to change from a perfectly good copper land line which won't lose connection should the router fail, to a digital one where current hand sets have to be adapted? I get that every one wants digital connection to a router for TV streaming, gaming etc but why couldn't they leave the landline as it was? I won't even go down the road of older people without broadband now having to have it. I know the copper is old but why fix it if it ain't  broken? Does this have anything to do with getting rid of exchanges?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gazzz
Tuning in

Several years ago our provider supplied a new router with VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol), which lasted about 18 months before it was withdrawn (by the provider), by then we had moved everything over to VOIP, so we then had to revert back to the old system which incurred additional costs. Hopefully this doesn’t happen again. 
Incidentally one of the new installers advised us that the new systems currently being installed on our street are not as reliable as the old (copper) systems, and our FAX machine will no longer be viable. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Yes, it is part of a national programme of work

https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/

which all providers are following

Gazzz
Tuning in

Several years ago our provider supplied a new router with VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol), which lasted about 18 months before it was withdrawn (by the provider), by then we had moved everything over to VOIP, so we then had to revert back to the old system which incurred additional costs. Hopefully this doesn’t happen again. 
Incidentally one of the new installers advised us that the new systems currently being installed on our street are not as reliable as the old (copper) systems, and our FAX machine will no longer be viable. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM's '21st century voice - 21CV' connection is not a full VOIP service from the customer's point of view. An ordinary telephone connects to the socket on the back of the VM hub via an adapter.

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

At the moment, this is linked back to the existing exchange equipment so it is just the means of connection that has changed as far as the features of the line are concerned.

The 21CV line is dependent on the hub working correctly. Any issues with the hub may mean the landline does not work.

Fax machines have been mentioned in the past on here as having problems due to the way the audio signal is processed on the new line. I would imagine though that fax machines are heading towards extinction given the number of other choices now available to send documents.

If the new connections eventually turn into a full VOIP service then there might be some benefits for the customer in the future. At the moment though the benefits seem fairly minimal (or non-existent) from the customer's POV.

There must be some advantage for BT to not have their copper active any longer but what is it? Is it less maintenance at the exchange? I know fibre optic is the future but if the copper has worked for telephones for over70 years why couldn't they continue with it?

Suppliers will no longer have to maintain ageing exchange equipment. They can consolidate their telephony onto an IP based platform along with other network traffic. Copper connections are being replaced by fibre optic connections to individual homes which makes for a logical move away from the old systems. A further advantage should be one of security as an IP-based system may offer more scope to deal with the activities of the telephone scammers. Landline use is in decline and many customers make greater use of mobile phones. IP telephony should allow better integration between landline and mobile for those who wish to carry on with the landline in future.

Brilliant explanation!

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

It isn't necessarily a "perfectly good copper land line" as my phone line has gone down multiple times including three times recently whist my broadband remained rock solid. I'm actually expecting greater reliability after I'm migrated off PSTN.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection