Menu
coenoby
Super solver
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Strange fault on landline

Just got a strange fault on my VM landline. Earlier this evening my VM tv picture went off and the landline phone gave a single ring and then stopped.

The TV picture returned almost straight away but now the landline has a sound like an engaged tone when you lift the receiver and you cannot call out. That "engaged" tone is not the sound you get when you have a voicemail message. It's not a sound I have heard before and there is quite a lot of crackling as well.

When I call my landline it goes straight to  voicemail.  

I have tried unplugging my two phones and plugging a spare one in but that gives the same result.

I have also run the online test from My Virgin Media Account but as expected that could not find a fault.

I am in Area 31 and the service status board is currently showing no issues.

I am guessing I need to steal myself for a long wait on the phone tomorrow to get through to VM customer services and of course I cannot use the free 150 service.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Strange fault on landline

FAULT NOW CLEARED

Just a quick update to say that the fault seems to have gone away at least for the moment. 😕

I would still be interested to hear if anyone has any idea what happened to cause it in the first place.

I have had VM landlines in 2 properties now and the only issue I have ever had was once when the line went completely dead which was diagnosed as water in the cable causing it to fail. This had very  different symptoms that no-one else seems to have reported in the past.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon coenoby,

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear of the blip in services with the TV and landline.

Looking into the local area, and there doesn't appear to be any faults currently showing, has there been any reemergence of the issue since your post confirming the fault is no longer there?

Do you have any other pieces of equipment connected or is it just the handset? 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@David_Bn wrote:

Do you have any other pieces of equipment connected or is it just the handset? 

Thanks for coming back.The phone line is still working fine at the moment

The VM phone line is the old traditional type not the version that uses the VM Hub.

I have two phones, one corded and one cordless which operates two handsets. I don't have any other devices plugged into the telephone sockets.

To trouble shoot the problem I unplugged both phones from their wall sockets and then plugged a spare corded phone in. That also made the same strange sound that I can only describe as like an engaged tone.

The problem seemed to resolve itself after about 2 hours.
Coenoby

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me coenoby,

Do please monitor this for us and if this returns, do feel free to come back to us.

Might also be worth keeping an eye on our Service Status Checker if such a fault were to reoccur 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@David_Bn wrote:

Will do. Thank you 👍

Coenoby