Menu
v9090_9180
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Since weeks: intermittent fault: No dial tone, calling in makes strange sounds but no ring

I experience below for last 3 weeks:

- no dial tone - complete silence but its the sort when someone on the other end might have put you hold (not absolute cut off).

- when I don't have a dial tone and I dial my number from another mobile I get no ring.  But strangely if I pick up my home phone at the same time I hear strange buzzing noise like someone else's phone might be buzzing,

- when I have a dial tone there is too excessive crackling noise on the phone,

Using online fault tracker no fault shows.  I called in twice to look into the fault, both time I was put through the 'fault engineering' and keep hanging for at least 1 hour (from a mobile number that changes me heftily for 0345 numbers) and eventually am cut off.

Anyone else experience the same?  I checked this forum and only way is to get engineer callout but I wish I knew how I can do this.  please help

0 Kudos
v9090_9180
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Since weeks: intermittent fault: No dial tone, calling in makes strange sounds but no ring

Forgot to mention I have tried plugging in other phones straight into the main phone socket and same experienced

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Since weeks: intermittent fault: No dial tone, calling in makes strange sounds but no ring

Hi v9090_9180,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your landline, we understand the disruption this issue can cause and that you need a working line.

We appreciate you trying the basic diagnostics as this is what we would have asked you to do in the first instance.

Can we also ask if you have unplugged any extension sockets and just tried the handset in the master socket?

Please let us know regarding the above so we can assist you further. 

Kind regards Jodi. 

0 Kudos
v9090_9180
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi.  Yes tried the handset only in the master socket as well

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me v9090_9180,

We really appreciate it. As you done as requested and still have a broken/noisy dial tone, we will need to do some further checks on your line for you. 

So I can access your account and take a look in to this, I will pop you over a private message to take your details. Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

v9090_9180
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes please chat me direct and I will accept.  To be clear right now I have no home phone line working; ie I have no dial tone and I cannot get any incoming calls.

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi v9090_9180,

I have already sent you a private chat request over an hour ago. If you look on the right hand corner of your thread you will see a purple envelope, click on this to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi v9090_9180,

Just a quick note to say an appointment has been booked for a technician to attend to get this issue resolved for you. I have sent you a private message with the date and time.

If you need any further assistance please come back to us through this channel.

Kind regards Jodi. 

v9090_9180
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Jodi.  Once engineer comes and fixes I will inform you and others here.

0 Kudos
v9090_9180
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So all know this is now fixed efficiently.  Good way to get things fixed is via this forum 😊 and not over a phone call to virgin 🙄

On this forum I reported issue on Tuesday.  Engineer appointment made for Friday morning.  Thank you Jodi. 😊

On Friday morning engineer called 1 hour ahead of knocking on door.  Very courteous and attentive engineer who figured within couple of minutes the fault would be at those green cable boxes that are on the street sides.

Within 30 mins he fixed the fault 😊.  Explanation was:

- some sort of "card" that takes many people's phone lines becomes faulty and disconnects some numbers!

- he replaced the faulty card to fix my phone.

- said due to this card change the crackles will go away too (this I still notice, but seems lesser than before)

0 Kudos