cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shambolic Porting of Old Number!

elkingdl
Tuning in

VM were supposed to port my old number from sky and this was put through in my initial order.  A week or so after go live, my number still hadn’t ported so a member of the support community chased it up and actioned it.  After another week or so, the number ported over and all was well - except my old line didn’t terminate.

I was advised that now the port was done, I needed to contact sky to terminate my service, which I did.  My sky line finally terminated at the end of august, then a couple of days ago, my VM landline number unexpectedly reverted back to its temporary number.

after calling customer services, I was told virgin didn’t complete the port and because I’d terminated my line with sky (after VM took the number, it was working and they advised me to contact them) I had to get back in touch with sky to ask if the number could be retrieved so vm can request it again!

it should not be this hard.  I’ve done everything vm have advised me to do, and now our principle number could well be lost.  Absolutely shambolic.  If I’d have had any idea it would be this hard, I’d have never switched 🤬

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

elkingdl
Tuning in

Kudos and thanks to @john_gs from the support team on the forums who actually managed to fix my problem and get the number ported.  

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Under the latest porting processes it is the gaining provider (VM) who is meant to lead the process and deal with any problems. The losing provider is supposed to keep the number available until the port is completed successfully.

The customer should not have to play any part in managing the port process (such as contacting the losing provider). It is for the gaining provider (VM) to resolve for you.

One of the VM forum team should reply here within a few days and should assist in VM doing this.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, elkingdl.
Thanks for reaching out to our help forums and sorry to hear of the issues with your landline port process and number, also about the frustration this has caused to you.

This is not what we expect your journey to be, happy to best assist where we can.

Based on your above post, it seems as your number port had failed to complete successfully when we first raised this request.
However, while the line with your previous supplier is active we could re-raise the port request and rectify this issue.

Upon our latest checks it seems we've done this recently, could you please advise if we've confirmed a new date for your old number to be back up and running with us?

Please, share more and we'll do our best to support you.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Adri,

No one has explained any dates to me and I don’t really know what I’m supposed to do to fix this.

I was told tonight that a further porting request had been sent to Sky on September 4th.  However, the line was terminated on August 30th as nearly three weeks ago the number actually did transfered over to VM - if someone rang my old ported number the VM line rang and if I dialed out my old number was presented on CLI.  When the number moved over, my old sky line didn’t terminate and one of your colleagues advised me to contact Sky and cancel the line myself - which I did and Sky terminated the line at the end of the month.

The first time I knew something was wrong was today when a friend told me our number was not working.  I tried it, and sure enough it wasn’t and dialing out presented VM’s temporary number.

When I called VM the customer service advisor I spoke to said they were limited in what they could do as I’d terminated the line (despite only doing this because VM told me to) before the port had completed (which I hadn’t because I’d been assured it was done). They then said I need to contact sky, I needed to explain what had happened, and I needed to secure the number for transfer.

I tried ringing sky but they were closed unfortunately.

Thank you for popping back to us @elkingdl and I am so sorry that this has been your experience. 

I'm going to pop you a Private Message and see if there is anything we can do. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

Hi Ashleigh, one of your colleagues is already on the case and has arranged for the number to be ported again later in the month.

This will actually be the 3rd attempt, as he managed to resolve it last week and over the weekend, the ported number rang out on my VM line.  Which was great…  but then everything reset on Monday and the number disappeared again.

Your colleague has done his best to help me get this sorted.  Whatever he’s being let down by behind the scenes remains rediculous, but I appreciate the genuine effort he is going through to try and fix things.

Hi @elkingdl 

Thanks for your response

Great to hear my colleague has now managed to get the ball rolling, please keep us updated with how you get on and my apologies for the previous inconvenience.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

elkingdl
Tuning in

Kudos and thanks to @john_gs from the support team on the forums who actually managed to fix my problem and get the number ported.  

Hi @elkingdl 

Thanks for coming back to me - great to hear all sorted 🙂

Please do pop back if you need further assistance.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill