Menu
mdare1
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Second phone line

Hi,

I have a great retro telephone which I used to be able to use (and wish to continue to use!) through the old BT line.

Unfortunately, since moving to Virgin Fibre I can only use one of the phone ports for my 'normal' phones.

Is there any way that the old phone can still be used?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Second phone line

what happens when you connect the old phone to your hub
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post and reaching out, mdare1,

Is the phone working when you swap ports?

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
mdare1
Joining in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes the phone works perfectly when plugged into the adaptor in the phone port on the back of the router.

0 Kudos
mdare1
Joining in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Works fine - just need to be able to use both my wireless handsets and my vintage phone!
0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

If your issue is how to connect two phones at the same time, you would just need a double splitter/adapter connected into the existing VM adapter from the back of the hub.

If you want to have the retro phone and wireless base station in different locations, then you would need an extension kit with a splitter/adapter on the end which plugs into the existing hub adapter and at the other end a regular telephone socket.

The above might be limited, however, by whatever the hub's capabilities are to ring more than one device at the same time.

0 Kudos
mdare1
Joining in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this response.

I have tried using a splitter into the adaptor supplied by Virgin. Unfortunately, the lines don't like this option and when I tried phoning home from my mobile it stated I was unavailable and to leave a message. I tried them individually through the splitter and the wireless base phone worked fine. The retro phone didn't (cut out when trying to dial my mobile number). When both are plugged into the splitter neither work.

Both phones work when put directly into the adaptor.

It's a mystery to me but I hope someone with more knowledge than me has a solution (couldn't see if Virgin provide a double socket adaptor)

0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

When you say 'retro' phone, do you mean a retro-looking phone (but with modern electronics inside, push button keys to dial etc.) or do you mean a genuine retro phone (old electro-mechanical dial etc.) which has been converted in some way to run on a modern touch-tone phone system?

0 Kudos
mdare1
Joining in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

It is an old rotary dial phone that has been adapted to be used with our 'modern' phone lines. (has worked fine up to now).

Is it because the old phone worked on an Analog basis and the Virgin fibre system is digital?

If so how come the phone works fine when plugged directly into the adaptor!

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

mdare1,

Thanks for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry your old phone has stopped working, is your phone provided via our router?

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos