cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam or not?

bob7bob
Tuning in

We've been getting calls from this number, 0800 183 6403. The caller is usually Asian sounding saying they are from Virgin. They ask to speak to the account holder by name. They mention the change over to the fibre network and ask for our address to send our adapter. My husband said if they are from Virgin, they would already have our details. He said if they were genuine, tell him our address. Apparently he isn't allowed to. My husband told them to send a letter if they are genuine. Explained that as there are so many scams around he was finishing the call.

Is this number genuine? If it is, why are Virgin calling customers when we have already received emails?

8 REPLIES 8

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi bob7bob,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Many apologies for any issues faced, given the number this could be one of our representatives however so I can investigate the matter I've dropped you a PM.

The message will appear within the envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for your cooperation over PM bob7bob,

I'm glad we were able to investigate this for you, also the appointment has been booked.

If you do need to reschedule you can via MyVM.

Do let us know how it goes!

All the bes,t

Kain

Robinslark
Just joined

Had exactly the same, except female voice sounded like AI robot. Very eerie so blocked number. 

Hi Robinslark 👋 Welcome to the thread! Thank you for joining to let us know. 

I'm also going to send you a PM so we can take a few details and check your account (Offering further support with any  landline adapter if required.)

I will do this for you now - you can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with another update when possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

Matovy
Joining in

Had exactly same situation. The caller wanted to explain new changes on my account but first wanted to verify my address. I didn't give them my address and said that if it is so important, please email me all the information. Rang virgin in the evening to check if there is any changes and apparently there is not so definitely a scam. Blocked the number. 

Thank you for your time and patience dealing with this issue. We had a lovely engineer called Matt who arrived promptly and changed our hub. Apparently there are issues like ours with a lot of Hub3's.

bob7bob
Tuning in

Apparently the calls were genuine. Kain_W checked on the system and saw a note about it.

Unfortunately it's the way Virgin do things,

Hi there @Matovy 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry that this has happened. Can I ask if the team mentioned a change over for your landline at all? 

Thank you.