Menu
Di3
Joining in
Message 1 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Scam calls

The last 2 days i have received 8 calls from different numbers, all missed as i work, answered one today and says they are virgin media and they have been monitoring My broadband and there are issues, i stopped her there because i took a call in work yesterday which was exactly the same lady and script, i asked how she had my number and the i knew she was not from virgin the line went silent and she hung up same as yesterday at the office.is anyone else having this? All the phone numbers are different beginning with the below

0137322     017098    020868   0189386 0125869 01782

driving me mad, have barred All the numbers but would like to know if i am the only one suffering with this.

thank you

SamG01
Joining in
Message 2 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam calls

Yep, same problem here. It is driving us nuts, we keep barring them but they keep calling on a different number. The last two days have been especially bad.

Were your details also leaked in the Virgin Media data breach?

I'm thinking that is how they got my number.
0 Kudos
Di3
Joining in
Message 3 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I have had no notification form Virgin that my details were leaked so unsure where they got my number from, i have had another 3 calls since my post!! 0133260. 01205484. 0127380, have challenged them as i know my internet and router are fine but they just hang up.😤
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 35
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

These are scam calls as you have already identified.

They are typically generated by auto-diallers working their way through sequences of numbers until they make connections to working lines.

The caller ID numbers usually change for each call and are generally faked so trying to block individual numbers each time is not successful in stopping them.

There are many similar posts from the last week or two in the 'Home phone' and 'Security matters' forums with various suggestions for workarounds and fixes to help mitigate the problem.

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hi Di3,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with Scam calls. 

We have a page on our website that can help with this. Here is the link: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/fraudulent-calls

^Martin

0 Kudos
JPVConival
Settling in
Message 6 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hi all

I just received a similar call from 01603 464 867 and asking me to press Windows then R and then type in some stuff which I didn't and just hung up after asking them to prove they were from Virgin.

It would be good to know how Virgin do contact you legitimately - or would Virgin never contact you in this way?

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 35
Flag for a moderator

There are various numbers listed on the forums which VM use for contacting customers for marketing. However, these cannot be relied on in any way to validate that a call is actually from VM because caller ID is very easy to fake.

If you log into 'My Virgin Media', you can set your contact preferences for VM. If you choose to eliminate phone contact then you would know that any inbound calls claiming to be from VM are very likely to be fake.

Gaius_Baltar
Joining in
Message 8 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I've received a few calls supposedly from VM today about my router causing issues with the network and that I am getting free service until this is resolved (nope!) and if I can just download applications (one being AnyDesk) so that they can remotely access my pc and take me though the issue I'd then be fine.  I was passed around a couple of people all saying the same word for word, including that VM advertises on TV, radio  and newspaper that they will call customer's from time to time to carry out a service check.  When I said I wanted to verify with VM before installing anything the line went dead.  

Calls from numbers beginning 01743 246     01743 247     01743 248

Looks like this is happening with a few VM customers.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hello Gaius_Baltar, 

Thanks for your post on our forums about these scam calls, the information you've provided will surely help others on this thread identify a scam call. We do not ask customers to download software to take control of their computer in any circumstance. 

You can report each other their numbers to TPS, they are the uk based organisation that works to combat scam calls such a this. 

You can also block their numbers on your mobile so they cannot ring again on that particular number, if you're getting these calls through a landline you can find out how to block them in our handy Landline Guide

Thanks again for sharing your experience and I am sorry they are calling. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
WhatSteveThinks
Tuning in
Message 10 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I've been having the same trouble over the last few days. As much as I love staying on the phone winding them up, I'm getting told off by my wife now as I should be working!

We don't use our landline, it came as part of the package. Would it cause issues with our service if I disconnected the landline?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos