Menu
Jackfate
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Scam calls

I am receiving a lot of scam calls on my Virgin landline.

Its always a call centre telling me there is a problem with my internet and they are from Virgin Media.

It's sometimes 6 times a day. Mixture of withheld numbers and numbers such as

0191 691 2087

I contacted virgin and got the call barring for withheld numbers added to my account. This hasn't made any difference and they are still coming through on withheld numbers

Does anyone have any suggestions what i can do?

thanks

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam calls

Good morning, Jackfate.

Thanks for your post. My apologies regarding the calls. I can fully appreciate that you're eager to get this stopped. 

The only other thing I can suggest is either reporting this to the police and hopefully they can trace the calls, or change the number, which we'd be happy to do.

I also personally use a call guardian service on my own housephone. It's not something we would be able to support here, however if you buy a phone with it on it, then the callers who call you have to identify themselves firstly before coming through. Whilst I cannot guarantee it would fix it for you, I personally do not get any scam calls on my landline.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

Jackfate
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

thanks John. thats auseful reply will try that.

How much does it cost to change number?

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Jackfate wrote:

<snip>

Does anyone have any suggestions what i can do?

I can second the suggestion for a call screening device. The phones with 'BT Call Guardian', use technology by 'trueCall' to screen the calls.

trueCall also manufacture a standalone device which does the same kind of thing but with a few more features. You can download the manual for the trueCall 'Call Blocker' device here to see how it works and how it screens the calls.

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/126.htm

Essentially you program the device, or the cordless phone, with your contacts. Known contacts ring straight through by default unless programmed otherwise. Unknown calls are intercepted and screened. The caller is asked to announce who they are and/or press a button to progress the call. At that point your phone rings and you hear their announcement of who they are and can decide whether to accept or reject the call.

The automatic diallers (which make up the majority of the scam calls at the moment) are not able to interpret the screening commands and so never ring through to your phone. I have been using a trueCall unit since June and it has totally eliminated the spam/scam calls ringing through to my phone.

CPR Call Blocker do similar products with a range of devices/features/prices.

At a simpler level, your phone may possibly have features which can help. These might include setting a distinct ring tone for callers in your phone contacts list to give you an audible indication of who is calling. Some phones offer a 'do not disturb' feature which keeps the phone silent and send calls (apart from those in the phone contacts list) direct to answering machine. Using these features in conjunction with ‘call screening’ via the answering machine can go a long way to alleviating the problem.

Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It would be free @Jackfate 🙂 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Jackfate wrote:

thanks John. thats auseful reply will try that.

How much does it cost to change number?

If you have a look around the forum(s) you will find a few reasons why getting a 'new' number might not solve your problem. Any 'new' number will actually be one which is recycled from the pool of numbers which VM has available to it and may possibly come with its own set of particular inherited problems.

Eventually the spam auto-diallers will also pick up any 'new' number after a period of time and the problem will repeat itself again, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Jackfate wrote:

<snip>

I contacted virgin and got the call barring for withheld numbers added to my account. This hasn't made any difference and they are still coming through on withheld numbers

<snip>

If you have had 'Anonymous Caller Rejection' added to your package and 'witheld' numbers are still coming through then that feature does not seem to be working as it should on your line. 'Call barring' is something different and relates to blocking certain types of outgoing calls from your phone (premium numbers, international, etc.).

0 Kudos
Seffrid
Superfast
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Some useful information here, thanks folks.

I may need to look into the suggestions further as we too have been getting several calls over the last couple of days purporting to be from the technical department of VM but clearly scamming.

0 Kudos
GBWGC
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just want to warn people about this scam which looks like it has been around a while. My wife took a phone call from 'Virgin Media' today to discuss our poor internet service. My wife has been working from home and for the last 2 days she had been having trouble with the broadband connection to her work computer. So when the caller raised concerns about the internet connection it had a ring of truth about it.

The caller had a thick accent and appeared to be calling from a call centre. During the phone call they instructed my wife to run a speed test, to log into our Virgin Media account and then they said they want to take control of our computer to do some technical stuff. My wife had to type some instructions into the computer which gave them remote access to it. During the call they suggested they wanted to pay us £404 in compensation for the poor internet. They also said an engineer would visit tomorrow.

The phone line went dead and my wife was now suspicious so immediately turned the computer off at the mains. They then called back and my wife asked for the caller's details and then said she was going to call VM to check. The man on the other end then started to try and talk my wife out of that course of action and asked her to turn the computer back on. During the conversation the caller also asked what bank the direct debit came out of. My wife then hung up and turned off the router as well as the computer.

I then returned home and checked for downloads to my computer and there was a remote access tool downloaded. I deleted that and ran a virus scan to check for any malware. None was found. I have changed my passwords.

It seems to me that we have been very lucky.

I may have watched too many films but is it a coincidence that the broadband was playing up or are these scammers able to slow up your router to make their story sound more credible when they call?!

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It is a coincidence that you were having problems. Do a search of this & the Security Matters forum & you will find dozens of theads on this scam, which has intensified during lockdown. These scammers are operating from call centres they have set up in India, where the authorities are constantly chasing them. As soon as one is shut down another starts up.

They are using VoIP software to gain access to our antequated analogue phone system, where they can easily fake the CLI (Caller Line Ident) numbers to make their numbers look legitimate & bypass the security measures put in by providers. Information on the blocks of numbers that providers supply to their customers are readily available on the internet, so they use auto diallers to call entire blocks of numbers & pretend to be that provider calling you.

If you have given them access to your computer then scan for malware & ransomeware programs using something like Malwarebytes

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos