Menu
mike29
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Scam calls received

"This call is being forwarded from British Telecom to inform you that your internet and landline will be terminated from today onward. Please press 1 to speak to the technical team to fix the problem or press 2 to continue with the termination process"

from

0206103031 @ 11:52 am

01809884834 @ 12:08 pm

And Possibly one from 07699499677 @ 11:34 am. Something about amazon prime, which i don't have.

Oh and the useless fraudulent-calls page does not inspire hope when you can't even get the term phishing correct.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam calls received

The term 'vishing' on the VM page refers to 'voice-phishing'.

The numbers which appear on caller ID are fake (as per your examples) and change for each call.

Unfortunately, if you have started receiving these, you will probably continue to get more. If/when they become too annoying you could consider getting a call blocking/screening device which will usually deal with them.

0 Kudos
mike29
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Because Phishing isn't plain and simple enough.

If Vishing has a page, Where is their page for smishing?

Can we get one for Emishing as well.

Lets just ignore that the PH is from dial-up internet days using a phone-line.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@mike29 wrote:

Oh and the useless fraudulent-calls page does not inspire hope when you can't even get the term phishing correct.

You posted a link to a page specifically about fraudulent telephone calls but your final sentence suggested that you were not familiar with the contemporary term 'vishing' (which does seem appropriate to be on that particular page).

What was the purpose of your original post? Are you seeking help with the nuisance calls or attempting to report them or just expressing dissatisfaction about the way in which VM have presented their help page information on the subject?

0 Kudos
kino
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have just received the second phone call from someone claiming to be from Virgin Media (sounded like Indian call centre) who said that VM needed to boost my broadband/internet speed. 

I went along with it for a while to see what they would do.

They asked me to go to my pc/laptop and hit windows-R key and enter eventvwr. This pops up the eventviewer which immediately started alarm bells ringing in my head. They wanted me to start reconfiguring it but I said "forget it - I don't trust this" and put the phone down.

Then I did a search for eventvwr scams and it seems to be quite prevalent. They can hijack your computer.

Be warned!

0 Kudos
mike29
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

yup. eventvwr and then telling you all the errors and warnings are hackers/scam software on your computer.

The other main one is netstat and telling you all the ip addresses are hackers connected to your computer.

I like to point people towards Jim Browning on youtube to get an idea of the things they will try get you to do.

And whatever they say, never allow remote access.

0 Kudos