Menu
mcnaugha
Up to speed
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Scam calls on Virgin Media landline

I’ve now been called twice by the same scammers. They’ve crafted a recorded message that sounds like the Virgin Media voiceover lady. It says your Internet is going to be disconnected and something about the router. You know it’s a scam when they say “press 1 to talk to your Internet service provider” when it would say Virgin Media if anything.

Is Virgin Media aware this is going on?

--
Andrew McNaughton
IT Maven
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam calls on Virgin Media landline

Browse through the 'Home Phone' and 'Security Matters' forums and you will see numerous queries about this particular scam.

0 Kudos
mcnaugha
Up to speed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well it's kind of like email filtering... Virgin should be seeking to filter the calls. It obviously wouldn't work all the time and would be a game of cat and mouse but still. I'm sure there are plenty of gullible folk out there who are going to fall for this.

For what it's worth, for VM, 01853 424540 was the number that called today. 01692 428605 was the number that called on 4/9/20.

--
Andrew McNaughton
IT Maven
0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi mcnaugha

Thanks for your post, and for providing this info. We can only advise registering with the telephone preference services, found here You can also find help here

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
mcnaugha
Up to speed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes I’ve been registered with that for years. I think these scammers aren’t particularly interested in complying with the law. Their automated technology is randomly trying numbers.

BT and Sky have automated call screening services. What’s taking Virgin Media so long to catch-up?

--
Andrew McNaughton
IT Maven
0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying, mcnaugha.

Unfortunately, it isn't a service that we provide at the moment but we appreciate your feedback and do welcome suggestions on ways we can improve our service.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

The main problem is that TPS will not stop scammers at all, as well as TPS will only stop unsolicited marketing calls from genuine companies. Scammers tend to use auto dialers which just try numbers in a range, normally with a spoofed phone number as although come up as UK numbers then these numbers are not the number they are calling from.

There are many 3rd party equipment that can deal with this called a Call Guardian, which will screen calls for you.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mcnaugha
Up to speed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. What I’d really like is an Alexa skill that could deliver call screening using my Echo Connect. I’ve got the Call Handler skill but it’s not all that automated and hasn’t be designed with the Echo Connect in mind.
--
Andrew McNaughton
IT Maven
0 Kudos