cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam calls landline

ph2
Tuning in

Getting Private Caller phone calls from someone claiming to be from my bank (knows which) enquiring about suspicious activity in account. I disconnect but cannot block the calls. They know my name and bank and landline. They know too much. The guy says his name is Tom. He has an Ali G London accent. For real. Sounds under thirty. Forgets he has phoned me before. So many calls a day. Maybe he does remember but hopes I will eventually succumb. I have logged it at Action Fraud. What else should I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ph2 wrote:

Getting Private Caller phone calls from someone claiming to be from my bank (knows which) enquiring about suspicious activity in account. I disconnect but cannot block the calls. They know my name and bank and landline. They know too much. The guy says his name is Tom. He has an Ali G London accent. For real. Sounds under thirty. Forgets he has phoned me before. So many calls a day. Maybe he does remember but hopes I will eventually succumb. I have logged it at Action Fraud. What else should I do?

The most simple thing you can do is not answer any calls from numbers you do not recognise. Either let them ring out or go to answering machine. This may gradually demote your number on the scammers' dialling lists if the phone is never answered by a person.

Does your phone have a feature to block withheld caller IDs?

Does your phone have a 'VIP' feature (terminology varies between manufacturers) to tag numbers in your address book as VIPs and give them a unique ring tone? When you hear the VIP tone you know it will be someone who is in your contacts list.

Further than that consider getting a call screening device which is very effective

https://www.truecall.co.uk/shop/truecall-call-blocker

Some BT phones have a 'lite' version of trueCall built in with less features but at a lower cost.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi ph2,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to hear you're receiving some nuisance calls.

You can find help regarding fraudulent and nuisance calls here 

You can also register with TPS service here

Alex_Rm

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ph2 wrote:

The most simple thing you can do is not answer any calls from numbers you do not recognise. Either let them ring out or go to answering machine. This may gradually demote your number on the scammers' dialling lists if the phone is never answered by a person.

Does your phone have a feature to block withheld caller IDs?

Does your phone have a 'VIP' feature (terminology varies between manufacturers) to tag numbers in your address book as VIPs and give them a unique ring tone? When you hear the VIP tone you know it will be someone who is in your contacts list.

Further than that consider getting a call screening device which is very effective

https://www.truecall.co.uk/shop/truecall-call-blocker

Some BT phones have a 'lite' version of trueCall built in with less features but at a lower cost.