Menu
Bazza81
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Scam calls claiming to be Virgin media

Hi, 

Over the past couple of days I have been getting bombarded with phonecalls, I picked up the phone a couple of times and they said they were phoning from Virgin and there was an issue with my Broadband which there is not. They asked if I had a laptop or mobile phone they could connect to and I said no.

One of the numbers they called from was 01952817878. I suspect this is a stolen line and they could be based in another country.

This is to make others aware, and also my question is there any way to block these numbers? I understand this could be very difficult,  I am already registered to block scam calls through TPS. I may need to request a new number if this Carrys on.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam calls claiming to be Virgin media

@Bazza81 wrote:

Hi, 

Over the past couple of days I have been getting bombarded with phonecalls, I picked up the phone a couple of times and they said they were phoning from Virgin and there was an issue with my Broadband which there is not. They asked if I had a laptop or mobile phone they could connect to and I said no.

Best thing to do is hang up. If you keep speaking to them it just gets you more calls.

One of the numbers they called from was 01952817878. I suspect this is a stolen line and they could be based in another country.

It either does not exist in the real world, or is cloned from another user. The calls come in from the internet onto the UK phone system.

This is to make others aware, and also my question is there any way to block these numbers? I understand this could be very difficult,  I am already registered to block scam calls through TPS.

There are getting on for 100 threads like yours currently on the forum. The only way to block them is a call filtering system like TrueCall plugged into your phone line.

I may need to request a new number if this Carrys on.

Totally pointless hassle, & It won't stop the calls. The scammers are using auto-dialling software that calls thousands of numbers a day. They will systematically work through EVERY number on an exchange in about a week, so you are just putting off the inevitable for a few days.

Thanks 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos