Menu
Anne140
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Scam callers

How can I block unavailable or withheld phone calls?

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam callers

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Anne140

Sorry that you have been getting these calls, here are some ways at safeguarding against nuisance calls https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-nuisance-calls

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
poppyweed
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have same problem. Tried to go ex directory but waited on virginmedia call for 45mins and gave up. Messages just keep telling you to view online help which then says call 150..... Frustrating at getting 5-6 calls every day from scammers etc

0 Kudos
Anne140
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Me too !! I’m still on hold on virgin website it says register TPS which I have, I’m getting calls pretending they are virgin media or Amazon 4-5 times a day, I want all with held and unavailable calls rejected 

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Anne140 wrote:

How can I block unavailable or withheld phone calls?

Many cordless phones do actually have a feature to block withheld/unavailable numbers already built in. Check your phone manual to see if your existing phone has this. It is often hidden within the menu settings. Be aware though it can also block legitimate calls from doctors/hospitals who do sometimes withhold their numbers.

To deal with the scam calls you should look at a call screening device such as trueCall or a phone with call screening features such as the ranges from BT.

Blocking individual numbers, or only withheld/unavailable numbers, is only partly useful as many of the scam calls use fake caller ID so these won't be stopped by simple blocking techniques.

With call screening devices, the caller is asked to press a button on the keypad and/or state who they are before your phone rings. The automated scam diallers cannot respond to this requirement and so the call is stopped from ringing your phone.

Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi poppyweed, I have replied to your other post regarding ex-directory.

Hi Anne140, As you are speaking with the team by phone we'll be sure to get things sorted for you.

Also, good shout, @goslow, there are a lot of hardware and 3rd party solutions available. I use some on my mobile as well.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos