Menu
malbin
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Scam call screening

I have recently started getting more and more scam phone call up to half a dozen a day.

Does virgin do something similar to Sky Talk Shield or TalkTalk's CallSafe which intercepts incoming calls from unapproved calls and ask them to leave a message and gives you the option for excepting or rejecting the call?

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam call screening

'Fraid not. Have a look at VM's advice here on handling this. But be aware they are like a plague of locusts at the moment. Taking advantage of the virus emergency and the fact that people are at home.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/services-support/home-phone

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mammouth
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I am fed up with these types of calls, too.  I've registered with TPS (Telephone Preference Service) but they still get through.

It's no use blocking the number, because they are all one-off calls, but damned annoying, especially at 7.45 in the morning!

Sky, BT and Talktalk all offer the screening of calls, so it's time VM caught up!

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@mammouth wrote:

I am fed up with these types of calls, too.  I've registered with TPS (Telephone Preference Service) but they still get through.

It's no use blocking the number, because they are all one-off calls, but damned annoying, especially at 7.45 in the morning!

Sky, BT and Talktalk all offer the screening of calls, so it's time VM caught up!

There is no point in trying to stop these calls at the providers end. These scammers are now cloning genuine numbers of businesses & householders in order to get around call blocking.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/My-telephone-number-used-in-a-scam-call/m-p/4476717#... 

They can even call you from your own number!  The loophole is the very antequated analogue telephone system we have which has no security against calls originating from the internet. All phone systems will be digital & hub based from 2025. Then there are things that can be done to mitigate this.

Call screening firmware is built in to most new phones now without the need to pay a provider for it anyway.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mammouth,

Sorry that you have been getting these calls, here are some ways at safeguarding against nuisance calls https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-nuisance-calls 

Another alternative would be to have the number changed.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos