Menu
andrewch
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Scam call received on home phone re router failure

At around 12:50 today 17 August 2020 I received an automated call explaining that my router was going to fail in 4 hours and I should press ‘1’ on my telephone keypad to contact my IPS.  I didn’t do this as a recognised the call as a SCAM.  Instead I called 150 to report the incident.  It took 23 minutes before I was able to speak to an Operator I suspect based offshore.  I appreciate that during the current COVID situation wait times may be longer.  However, to counter that, why do Virgin Media not have a SCAM HOTLINE option for customers to report such issues.  

In addition, I understand from the Virgin Media Operator I spoke to that Virgin Media do not have any means of logging or barring nuisance or scam calls being made to their customers they simply refer customers to the telephone preference service. I’m sure TPS are capable but Virgin Media should be doing more to protect their customers.

I find this very disappointing and will be taking this into account when my contract is up for renewal shortly.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Pars
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam call received on home phone re router failure

This is a potential issue with any provider and there is very little that they (or VM) can do about it unfortunately. Numbers are often spoofed so blocking is of limited effect and the TPS only works with legitimate organisations.
M350 over FTTP
0 Kudos
andrewch
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I’m not convinced.  Virgin Media and their counterparts should and could be doing better.  From my experience the TPS have very limited effect.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

See the link below for a post by Andruser (on a similar topic) who makes some helpful suggestions as to why the international telecoms organisations are slow in tackling this! I suspect there is probably a large element of truth in his post!

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Nuisance-calls/m-p/4354377#M137464

The only way you will stop the robo-scam calls is with a call blocking/screening device. I have been using a trueCall standalone unit for a couple of months now and it has totally resolved the issue for me. I have posted in several recent topics about the experience of setting it up and using it.

0 Kudos