Menu
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Scam Phone Calls

I cant help but notice that I am getting more and more* of these lately.  The largest worrying thing I am seeing from it however is that they are from non-existent numbers.

While I know that VoIP calls passed from valid carriers on to VM must get terminated and treated as valid calls.  Why is there no check done to see that the number follows a real format.

For example, Today I received a call about spyware on internet connection and it's getting cut off /yadda yadda/ and it came from a number that starts exactly as mine, but was 1 digit shorter.  For some people seeing the same dialing code at the front makes it look like a legitimate local call.

It's possible the call could have been pushed through another country and the country ID was omitted, but Is there no way to have these blocked globally (for the good of all users).

*2-3 a month currently.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Phone Calls

Hi VMCopperUser,

Thanks for your post, 

I'm sorry if you're experiencing nuisance calls. Sadly we're not able to stop number spoofing.

You're able to register your self for the TPS service.

We also offer call features such as Anonymous Caller Reject and Caller display. Other than that we would only be able to offer a number change as a last resort.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I've written many articles on this subject. The obvious thing to do is to hang up but you need to educate others who may not be as savvy as you are.

Take a look at my article at https://againstscammers.com/how-to-deal-with-scam-phone-calls/

There are loads of other similar ones on site too. Hope this helps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

This is one of those things which sound very easy in theory 'why don't VM block these scam calls', but really what you are asking for is 'Why don't VM intercept all of my incoming phone calls and just decide themselves if I should receive them or not!'

Consider it like this, imagine if the postman opened all of your letters, read them and then decided himself what ones are 'important' and you should see and the rest he just threw in the bin and you never knew they were sent!

It's nowhere near as simple as it might seem!

0 Kudos