Menu
Tom80
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Scam Phone Calls from organization purporting to be virgin media

I have received 5 calls to day from the following numbers. The caller purports to be from Virgin media and keeps saying there is something wrong with my router. If I then ask them for my Virgin Media account number immediately they hang up. This is to make you aware this is happening and investigate if you can:

[MOD EDIT: Suspicious numbers removed]

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Phone Calls from organization purporting to be virgin media

These are scammers & the numbers are either fake or worse still are cloned from real companies & residential customers. For their own protection I have asked the numbers to be removed from your post as these innocent users may end up getting abusive calls from people believing they are the scammers. These calls originate from India using number spoofing software to fool our old analogue phone system.

As these scam call centres are outside the UK there is very little that can be done at present. Increased security requires a digital phone system, which won’t go live in the UK until 2025.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Awareness of the issue is high on the VM forums! Posts about it appear most days.

There seems to have been an increase in reports today and over the weekend and I have even had two scam calls to my mobile today which is a very rare event for my mobile number to receive them.

VM won't be investigating the calls. Best you can do is not answer them.

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom80, thanks for getting in touch

You can report these kinds of calls via this link: virg.in/reportspam so the relevant teams can look into it.

Thanks for being vigilant.

Tom 

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't offer too much encouragement in reporting fraudulent calls when the final line of the link advises "Fraudulent caller reports submitted through this form may not be actioned" and there is no actual form to report on (reports "To use this form you'll have to make sure javascript is enabled in your browser.").The only other alternative takes the customer off to the general VM contact route or the circular series of help links to generic information pages!

In terms of effort versus reward, reporting would seem like a lot of effort for the very high likelihood of little/no reward IMHO!!

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Getting access to your computer is the main goal of these calls, teaching customers not to think it's okay is a hard thing to do.  They could/should put a warning on bills stating that they will never contact you regarding a technical or billing issues.  Those of us who have been around long enough know that they will never contact you even when they should or say they do, merely anyone saying "Hi this is Virgin Media" is enough for most of us to know that it's a lie lol....

Netreports are only intended for internet based reports.  Many ISPs think that page negates all the things they should be doing.

Virgin Media needs to allow us to block all foreign based calls (FOR FREE) (Yes, they might and probably would start spoofing UK numbers to get around this).

Virgin Media should also start emailing customers as soon as there's a foreign access login success (anywhere outside UK), and perhaps even any non-vm IP login attempt.

Virgin Media should introduce logging in with 2FA.

Virgin Media should also introduce IP Logs for email/account login history (This should be so easy, they had it in the past but it didn't work as it logged their internal proxy/gateway IP, so instead of fixing it they just removed it).

The fact that their own support teams in the past have tried to push people towards remote login services to "fix" issues is also bad, as it validates that type of behavior.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @VMCopperUser

Thank you for your feedback.

These are all excellent points regarding dealing with fraudulent calls, I will make sure to pass them on.

Thank you for your suggestions,

Serena

0 Kudos