Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Scam Calls

How do we i stop these scam calls...all from different uk codes ....01732 01886 01653 01494 01852 01633 01275 +361 01674 this is since yesterday morning and some codes have been used twice..How do i stop this very upsetting,,,i have tried talking to them shouting at them blocking all the numbers its way too much at least 15 calls since yesterday!!!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Calls

Unfortunately everyone is receiving these scam calls. The calls are generated automatically by machine (which is why you get so many of them) and the caller IDs which come up are typically fake.

If you have a cordless phone you may have some built-in features (depending on the phone make/model) which may be able to help. See the post below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/High-number-of-nuisance-scam-calls/m-p/4451594#M1412...

If your phone doesn't have any of those features you could look at getting a call screening device such as trueCall, CPR Call Blocker or one of the cordless phones with those features built in. A recent post below from @Azzer describes setting up a BT phone for the first time with those features

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/7-spam-calls-today-supposedly-from-Virginmedia/m-p/4...

I use the trueCall standalone device and it has totally blocked out the unwanted calls on my line.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Exact same situation for us too (actually the only reason im on here)
Started getting the calls yesterday morning, different number everytime & never leave a message on the answer phone. Got about 8 calls yesterday, so far today theres been 4.

We're registered with TPS & we never give out the house phone number to anyone (tbf i dont even know it to give it out 😂)

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Kuchisake wrote:
Exact same situation for us too (actually the only reason im on here)
Started getting the calls yesterday morning, different number everytime & never leave a message on the answer phone. Got about 8 calls yesterday, so far today theres been 4.

We're registered with TPS & we never give out the house phone number to anyone (tbf i dont even know it to give it out 😂)

If you only use the landline for occasional outgoing calls, switch off the phone ringer and turn off the answering machine. The diallers detect when they get an answering machine and cut the call leaving only silence on the answering machine message. Just screen your incoming calls on the phone's missed call display function and let the phone keep ringing (silently) for any incoming calls.

In my experience on my own line, the frequency of these unwanted scam calls seems to be related to how often the call actually gets through to ring the phone and get a response.

If the scam dialler makes a connection, that seems to generate a greater number of scam attempts. If the scam calls never progress to anything, they eventually seem to die down on their own for a period of time.

Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Solid advice, thank you.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Check on the BT phone book page that your number isn't in their phone book. Mine is despite having had it removed by BT many years ago. I couldn't believe that my VM number is in the book so phoned BT.
They advised that VM provide them with the numbers. I've raised a complaint with VM so watch this space. Probably wont stop nuisance calls in the short term but it must be contributing to them.
0 Kudos