Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Scam Call

Just had a phonecall from a call center saying that they were from Virginmedia and their technical security side.

They were saying something about my internet has been flagged for the last 2 days giving out security errors?

They wanted me to open my command prompt (windows key + R) and then in the command prompt type in CMD and then assoc (at this point i did not go any further) said i wanted confirmation and she said you will but you need to do this first.

The thing is they had called me on the NONE virginmedia landline from downstairs and not the VM landline i have. I am sure this is a scam so peeps beware. Something about removing security issue's when there is not any (shouldnt be i have just re-installed my system and upgraded to windows 10.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Call

Hello there Manestream

Thank you for posting on our community forum pages.

Do you happen to have the number which this call was made from at all?

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Manestream wrote:

...They were saying something about my internet has been flagged for the last 2 days giving out security errors?

....They wanted me to open my command prompt (windows key + R) and then in the command prompt type in CMD and then assoc

....they had called me on the NONE virginmedia landline .... not the VM landline

...said i wanted confirmation and she said you will but you need to do this first.

All classic signs of a scam call.

Not only would they have installed malware on your device they would probably have taken your card details and charged you handsomely for it. Smiley Surprised

Unfortunately the number that appeared in caller display for that call is totally irrelevant because it will inevitable have been spoofed (faked) by the scammers - they certainly don't want you knowing the number they really used.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for late reply, only just got notified about a forum reply to this today.

Yup i could not find the number as it was withheld.

They also called me on my parents phone downstairs which is BT. That in itself made me suspicious. Wanted me to do things i refused. Told them that i will call VM myself and get it clarified and they tried giving me a phone number, i said nope i have it. They never called me back.

They did try to sound very convincing, that no wonder people get caught out. So I thought make a post about this and for people to be wary of these sort of phonecalls. They will try to give you a number, refuse, and use the 150 on your phone (if with VM) and clarify things. However I am sure VM do NOT make these calls.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us.

It does indeed sound like a scam call, apologies. 

You've done the right thing by checking with us first before giving any detail 🙂

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Had a similar call today on my VM land line number. Thanks for the heads up!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I've had a similar one today on my landline.

Claimed to be from Virgin Media stating he thought i had a security problem and asked if i'd noticed my computer had been slower and wanted to resolve it at my end.

I suspected a scam and terminated the call.

I think the call came from 0924319089. Is this a Virgin number?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Geos, this isn't us and is indeed a scam.

Have you registered with the TPS - here

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi John_GS

I was going to register with TPS but noticed this on Wikipedia

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a UK register of domestic telephone numbers whose users have indicated that they do not wish to receive sales and marketing telephone calls.[1] Registration is free of charge. The service is paid for by the direct marketing industry. There is a similar service for corporate users, the Corporate Telephone Preference Service (CTPS). Similar do not call lists are implemented in other countries.

It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including companies, charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless consent has been given;[1] however the TPS has no powers of enforcement,[2] and a 2013 survey by the consumer association Which? found that people registered on the TPS list received twice as many marketing calls as those not on the list

Doesn't give you confidence

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Geos wrote:

It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including companies, charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless consent has been given;[1] however the TPS has no powers of enforcement,[2] and a 2013 survey by the consumer association Which? found that people registered on the TPS list received twice as many marketing calls as those not on the list

Doesn't give you confidence

It does make good sense to register with TPS if you are receiving unwanted marketing call; advice echoed by Which? here, I keep getting unwanted calls and text messages, what can I do? It makes no sense to register with TPS to stop these scam calls because you are dealing with miscreants.

0 Kudos