Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ringer amplifier for landlines

Your engineer has connected our landline to our Virgin router. Our ringer amplifier no longer works. Can you suggest an amplifier that will work on this new set up - ie. it needs to work between phone and router, not incoming phone line

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ringer amplifier for landlines

If you mean the phone is not ringing, then try using an ADSL filter. These have a ring capacitor inside that should resolve the issue.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for answering so quickly. The phone DOES ring, it’s just that we need it to be a lot louder. We did have an amplifier when the phone was connected to an incoming phone line but that doesn’t work now the phone is plugged in to the router. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Kingspin wrote:

Thank you for answering so quickly. The phone DOES ring, it’s just that we need it to be a lot louder. We did have an amplifier when the phone was connected to an incoming phone line but that doesn’t work now the phone is plugged in to the router. Any suggestions?

@nodrogd is pointing out the fact that the issue might possibly be the adapter which connects into the back of the hub before you plug in the phone.

Most modern phone equipment now uses only two wires to connect with. However, some equipment may also require a third wire to generate the ringing sound, which is achived by having a capacitor inside the adapter and the adapter is wired internally to provide a third wire connection to the device to generate a ringing sound.

Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Old handsets probably don't work, so either use a modern handset or replace the RJ11 to BT adapter with one which has a ringing capacitor, can be bought on eBay for £5.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection