cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retain Home Network on Digital Changeover

John_U
Tuning in

I have a network of BT phone sockets throughout the house with wired handsets and 2 x DECT multiple sets which were all fed from the old VM landline.  Can I use an RJ11 to BT male plug lead to connect my Hub 3 to one of the network BT sockets and thus reconnect my home network as before the changeover?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Client62_0-1677416660195.png

The image above is a typical of a domestic BT / VM analogue phone line + wall sockets.

If you intend to connect the output from the Hub TEL 1 socket to the existing wall sockets as you say with a RJ11 to BT plug type of cable that would work, provided you first disconnect the 2 wire exchange line from the master socket.

The reason for this is at change over from the the exchange line to the Hub the exchange line is very likely to remain powered at 48 volts ( even if there is no dial tone ) and this must not be cross connected to the Hub.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @John_U 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

You can use an RJ11 cable but it wouldn't be the BT sockets you'd use. 

Do you need a relocation/modification of existing wiring done at all? Let us know if so and we can sort.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Client62
Legend

Client62_0-1677416660195.png

The image above is a typical of a domestic BT / VM analogue phone line + wall sockets.

If you intend to connect the output from the Hub TEL 1 socket to the existing wall sockets as you say with a RJ11 to BT plug type of cable that would work, provided you first disconnect the 2 wire exchange line from the master socket.

The reason for this is at change over from the the exchange line to the Hub the exchange line is very likely to remain powered at 48 volts ( even if there is no dial tone ) and this must not be cross connected to the Hub.