Menu
Steve1947
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Restoration of Voicemail

I have been using a cordless answerphone but my gradual loss of hearing means that I am adopting a pair of cruder phones with louder bell-type rings and more acoustically affective earpieces. Unfortunately these are not available with an answerphone function and leaving my existing answerphone plugged to provide voicemail only in seems to overload the connection. The crude phones are REN 1 and the answerphone is a Siemens Gigaset AL185 so I don't understand how I can be overloading an REN 4 capable connection. That however is by the by because the simplest solution seems to be to restore the free voicemail that goes with the service. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get through on 150 nor have I been able to find any instructions on virginmedia.com that tells me how to do it - other than a direction to call 150!!!

Thanks, Steve

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Restoration of Voicemail

Hi Steve1947,

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for posting.

We'd be happy to add voicemail service onto your account for you from here. I'll pop you over a PM so I can take some further details.

In regards to the issue you have with reaching the REN limit, it's possible that if you have multiple handsets connected, that you may just being going slightly over the REN limit.

Please look out for my PM at the purple envelope.

Thanks,

Beth

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Steve1947

Sorry to hear of the intermittent dial tone.

I've checked the system and we've noticed an issue with the broadband where there is a service issue. This requires a technician visit to sort out. I've booked in the earliest available slot and you can find out more here

If you can let the engineer know about the dial tone, they'll sort that also 🙂

Let me know how the visit goes

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

Steve1947
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John

Can you tell me what access the engineer will need? I am self-isolating at the moment so allowing anyone into the house means I have to "clean up" after them and they have to wear PPE while they are indoors. The modem is on the first floor landing as it has been since it was an NTL installation for room-renting students sometime before 1999.

Steve

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Are you self-isolating due to a positive test? If so, this will delay the visit for two weeks

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

Steve1947
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

No John, my last test (a week ago) was negative. I am self-isolating on account of being over 70 and with cardiac problems.

Steve

0 Kudos
Steve1947
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

John

I look forward to tomorrow's visit.I don't often get to talk to a fellow engineer since I retired!

Here is some info for him or her:

You are providing internet access to a gigabit network (9 current clients), with WiFi of 2.4G (27 current clients) and 5G (12 current clients).

Snapshot internet speed checks (Ookla) gave results of 385Mbps on 5th Feb and 309Mbps on 6th Feb but dropped off to 128Mbps on 10th Feb and 61Mbps (at best so far) today.

I hope this helps.

Steve

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Do let us know how the visit goes 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Steve1947
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

John_GS and Beth

The Engineer called this morning and replaced the old NTL coax between the point of entry and the modem. This relates to the "noise" issue you picked up from my previous records. Speed checks now give a more consistent high report (300 Mbps and above) instead of the variation I had been seeing (and had assumed was normal).

He listened to the dial tone and agreed that it was indicating that I had a message but dialling 1571 received the response "You have no new messages". He suggested that the problem might resolve itself over the next week but said I should report it again if it doesn't.

Regards

Steve 

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply and update, Steve1947, let us know if it does clear up in a week.

Cheers,

Corey C