Menu
davidladanowski
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Requesting a new landline number

My elderly in laws are receiving pest phone calls on their landline. Please advise how we can request a new number to replace their current number?

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Requesting a new landline number

Hi David,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thank you for posting.

I'm sorry to hear that your in-laws have been receiving a lot of nuisance calls, we appreciate how frustrating and concerning these types of calls can be. I will mention that a number change isn't guaranteed to resolve this issue, as most landline numbers are recycled and not necessarily 'brand new'.

We do everything we can to filter out the known scam/nuisance numbers, but some calls may still fall through the net which is sadly beyond our control. We do have a page here which provides information on how to deal with these types of calls and how they can be reported.

Hope this helps - do let us know if you need anything else.

Beth

0 Kudos
davidladanowski
Just joined
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

We have just about everything in place as per your suggestions, including a call blocker. However, there is one particular person who is repeatedly calling my mother in law, claiming to be from fraud department during the last 3 weeks, including this morning. This person is telling her to go along to her bank and draw out hundreds of pounds. This is too familiar and constant. Therefore, in this instance, a new number would be the best suggestion. Please advise how we can proceed with this request? The only other option may be to change landline provider, to effect a change of number.

Thanks,

Davif

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Does the number calling show as the same every time or does it constantly change?
If it constantly changes then these are offshore scammers using VoIP software & the numbers are either fake or cloned from other unsuspecting people.

The bad news is that changing your number will not stop these type of scammers from calling. These pests also use auto-dialling software to call thousands of numbers a day, so it’s only a matter of time before they find you again. The best action if a scammer calls is to either hang up straight away, or let all calls go to an answering machine. Scammers very rarely leave messages & 9 times out of 10 will hang up if an answerphone starts up. The other option is to use a call blocker as a gateway where callers have to announce themselves before you decide whether to answer or not. The vast majority of these calls are also dropped.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi davidladanowski 

The fantastic @nodrogd and my colleague Beth_G have both given very sound advice.  On top of the advice already given, I can only really add that if your mother in law has digital phones where with the benefit of caller display, only answers the numbers she recognises?  I appreciate this may not always be possible or convenient.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos