Menu
saajan_b
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Request Landline switch to VOIP via Hub3

Hello,

We’ve had Virgin on and off for the past ten years or so, and one persistent issue has always been the quality of the landline. If it rains the line can sometimes get crackly etc. This fault persisted after getting a new RG11 cable pulled from the cabinet (for TV/modem power levels).

Our internal wiring is disconnected, our line goes straight into our VM master socket, so no issues on our end.

We reckon we’re on a dodgy pair between the mux and cabinet but it’s never been sorted.

We’re switching our TV back over to Virgin on the Ultimate Oomph package, and was wondering when the engineer visits in August if they can switch us over to a landline fed by the Hub 3 VOIP socket.

We understand the drawbacks of it being fed by the hub, but if there is a power outage in our area the mux goes down as well as the cable amps so it does not make a difference as it would not work either way.

I have not tried ringing yet, but I imagine they will be confused by my request since this is not a new order etc.

Thanks,

Saajan

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Request Landline switch to VOIP via Hub3

Are you taking a new phone service or just adding TV to existing Phone and Broadband?

I barked up this tree a while ago and didn't really get an answer from Virgin but the tech heads in the community seemed to beleive it wasn't a thing for existing customers currently, however if you where to log a fault with Virgin I'm sure they would quickly move the line over, if they can that is.

I'm not sure on how the VoIP system isa working with Virgin but it may be a case that switching from POTS to VoIP isn't as straight forward as it may be thought.

If I've helped let me know 🙂

10 year's managing 9 Virgin Media accounts, and things never got any better, closed last 4 accounts since January 2021 :L

I give 'my' experience to help where possible.
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Currently not areas can transfer from POTS to the  VOIP system, it is mainly for new customer and if there is a fault, even when switching over due to a fault it needs a engineer to come out and do the switch in the cabinet.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DrawnClaws
Dialled in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi saajan_b

Don't expect more than a description of my dissimilar yet similar experience in what follows:

First let me say you have explained everything very well - even your title explains what it is that you need from Virgin Media and I am sure it will improve the line.

Many years ago I had a service provided originally by Cable & Wireless (now Virgin Media).  I think the phone arrived at the house over the copper wires but the Internet was cable.  Incidentally we are about as far as the copper wire will go from our exchange.

Most recently my provider was an ASDL+ system (the Openreach engineer cut the VM phone wires to complete and facilitate his installation and we improved to ……… 9 Mbps slow.  At the end of my 12 months contract with my then provider I ordered Virgin Media M50 Broadband and Talk Weekends phone and this was installed on 2 June.

The VM installer said the cut VM phone wire (the old way to connect a landline) did not need to be replaced.

Hey Presto I now plug my phone into the Hub 3 voip socket.

Best Regards and Good Luck.

0 Kudos
saajan_b
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

So it isn't delivered over VoIP in the traditional sense, is there another RF carrier for it?

0 Kudos
saajan_b
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

We currently have a landline with VM so I can't imagine they'd want to cut/swap wires around. Hopefully when they do an engineer visit the line will be crackly or have a static noise on it, so they can actually see the fault and do something about it. Maybe when they are here they can do the switch at the cabinet in order for it to be sent to the hub instead.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

It isn't true VOIP it is something call 21CN which basically converts the analog line to a separate frequency down the broadband cable. Virgimedia consumer do not  offer VOIP.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
saajan_b
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Interesting to know, so instead of converting to analogue copper at the mux, the same digital carrier that was going down the fibre is converted to another digital RF carrier for the cable network, which is then de-muxed at the Hub 3?

Turns out our landline hasn’t been ringing for the past week or so, we have an engineer booked this week to fix it so it will be interesting to see what they decide to do. 

Kind Regards,

Saajan

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Yes that is correct, do let the forum know how it goes with the engineer in the thread.

Regards

0 Kudos
saajan_b
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The engineer has come and sorted the issue, he's moved us over to a differnet line card since they have replaced a couple of them in the mux, and that seems to have solved the issue, including the crackling and hissing when picking up the phone. I did ask re. moving to the Hub based phone, and they said they only do that for new orders in the area now, although they still pull a siamese cable to the property.

0 Kudos