Menu
yowfailed
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Reposition a router?

Guys

I need to move my router from one room to another but in order to do so I have to remove the connecting plug from the cable that connects the router to the outside world (cut it off basically).

Having spoken with VM regarding this they want to charge an eye watering £100 for said task which I can easily do myself, with your help😉 

Can anyone advise, if I cut off the plug can I then reinstate it with a new ‘aftermarket’ one and if so what do I need (type of plug and where from). Also, do I need a special tool to fit said plug?

Thanks Guys

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Reposition a router?

you should not attempt this the connector is crimped on to the cable to give the best possible connection - get it wrong and you will impact your and [possibly] many other connections in your area 

the £100 is a standard call out charge for non fault call outs - its what it is - could you not open the hole up to allow the connector to pass through or even look at leaving the hub where it is and add a 3rd party router where you wanted the hub re-sited - that would be a much better way to spend some or all of your £100

Tony
0 Kudos
RebelMC
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Following as I also want to resite my Hub.

The engineer moved 'the original hub with another company' from the middle of the house - giving coverage all over, to the extreme side of the house (where the TV is). So now I get low and no signal in one side of the house. Even Virgin's own Connect App shows 'low signal' in 3 rooms.

I must say I'm not impressed, as my wifi with the previous company was 'slower' yet I got better internet.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@RebelMC wrote:

Following as I also want to resite my Hub.

The engineer moved 'the original hub with another company' from the middle of the house - giving coverage all over, to the extreme side of the house (where the TV is). So now I get low and no signal in one side of the house. Even Virgin's own Connect App shows 'low signal' in 3 rooms.

I must say I'm not impressed, as my wifi with the previous company was 'slower' yet I got better internet.

WiFi is dependent on many factors. Not least of which is contention with neighbouring properties hubs. You also have 2 WiFi bands, one with better coverage but less speed & the other does the opposite. In my own case I am surrounded by houses & flats & my WiFi was dire. I resorted to manually setting one of the WiFi outputs to a rarely used channel that hubs will not assign automatically, & presto!; brilliant WiFi. Over 1/2 the house gets what would be considered "adequate" rather than good WiFi, but even out in my summerhouse some 20 metres away through a cavity wall I get download speeds of over 80Mb.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos