Menu
Oldfogi
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Repeated problems contacting Virgin on occasions that the landline is down

Hi - new to this forum!

I've been with Virgin for a while and am used to the service being prompt when my broadband goes down (sadly too often, and always the same problem - at the local cabinet!).  All it takes is a call to 150, a quick chat and a date is given for an engineer to call (or be put through to the techos who can sort if by resetting things at their end).

What the problem I've got today (and this has happened before) is that the broadband and TV are fine, but the landline has stopped working.  There is no dial tone on corded or cordless phones, and anyone ringing in simply gets an "engaged" signal.

I am a reasonably capable user, have done the usual checks and suspect the problem was this afternoon when there was a short power glitch that knocked my PC out temporarily.  I only noticed the phone issue when I came to make a call, hours later.  Presumably, all that is needed is a reset of the phoneline from Virgin engineers.  My phone line is connected to the wall by the way, not the Router, so  resetting that I doubt would solve the problem.

Last time this happened (around 4 months back I think), I spent hours on a borrowed mobile trying to ring them, waiting for over 30 mins each attempt in queues, with no success.

Why is there not a simple way of telling Virgin that the landline is down?  Surely that would be easier all round?

All it would take is an option on the Help system, after going through the Service Status test to say "Thanks - we've got your report of Landline down and will be in touch with you via email".  Another way would be to submit a fault report from a webpage via email - it ends up with the same result.

Before anyone mentions the virus and that there are probably fewer people taking calls, I understand that.  If my proposal was in place, I would suggest there would be fewer calls as problems like mine would be automatically routed to the techos who could reset people lines and resolve such issues in seconds.

0 Kudos
Kippies
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Repeated problems contacting Virgin on occasions that the landline is down

Hey there welcome to the forums...

Yup, its a good idea that should be implemented (with a caveat below) . Unfortunatly its unlikely to as VM are likely to busy stressing about they are going to get Hussein Bolt in the latest advert when were all on lockdown.

II suppose the answer is they want to put you through a few hoops first, make sure youve checked the basics instead of just booking in a tech off the back of someone clicking a link.

Next issue is- Why does it KEEP happening- Ive had a VM landline for nigh on 20 years its never gone down- so theres something up with you cabinet. The current fix which appears to be biscuits and string is not working, so they need to be looking at the pattern...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Oldfogi
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kippies,

The Broadband going down fairly often a year or so ago was raised a few times and I got a discount for a while as a result.  They said they were looking into the cabinet issue, but that was as far as it went.

The landline issue is far more annoying as it is harder to even contact them.

I'm glad at least someone else thinks this ought to be sorted.

I'll keep trying ringing from a borrowed mobile phone and trying to get their BOT to talk to me.  Finally managed last time as, although it refused to understand anything to do with "Landline down". "Phone not working"  and so on, I mentioned "upgrade" and was put straight onto a human.  After trying this a few times, and each time I said what the problem was I was immediately put in the waiting phone queue for technical support who never answered. Finally, a human put me through to someone who scheduled a visit.  I don't think I even need that this time, just a reset from their end.

Oh well, I'll keep trying!

Thanks for the reply - and keep safe in these difficult times!

0 Kudos
Kippies
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Do me a favour and next time it happens, post back on this thread (or start another if you cant find it)

Ill escalate it through here which may get you a more satisfactory outcome.

Glad you got an engineer sorted but it is, umm diplomatically, "a bit of a faff" ATM, and who knows how long we will be in the same boat.

Kind Regards

Kippies

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Oldfogi
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
Tried replying an hour or so ago, but for some reason I gwt the message "Authentication Failed" and my reply was lost! Anyway, trying again and will save it to a WP this time in case it happens again!

Well I tried the 0333 number but (surprise surprise) couldnt get through, so I left it until today.

I thought I'd check System Status before settling into hours of being on hold but, much to my surprise, I was told that they had a fault in the area, and were working on it!

Last time this happened to me I knew it was only my phone down (a neighbour also with Virgin had a fully working landline), and the engineer came, checked my system, then went to the cabinet, and reported a single wire was out, causing the issue (and a couple of days downtime for me).
Presumably this time someone else had managed to get through to Virgin, who checked, found it was an issue not only for one user but for a group of us, and raised the job for it.

I am happy to say that my landline is up and running again, but the issue of reporting landline faults remains.

Hopefully someone at Virgin will read this thread, realise it is an issue, and look at resolving it before long.....