Menu
JimandMyra
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Repeated calls from return callers

We keep receiving calls from people who say that they are returning a missed call from our number, which we have not called. It's obviously not these people who are to blame as we explain the situation. This problem started when we were unable to access our wifi which kept returning a connection error saying Failed to provide IP address. We kept resetting the router until it eventually connected and then received an unsolicited phone call from a member of Virgin media support who told me that there were people abroad trying to hack our router. As I was very suspicious about this I disconnected but we have been plagued by these nuisance return calls ever since. I have been unable to speak to any human operator at Virgin media about this issue, partly due to the various menu systems available and not being sure whether this is a telephone or internet issue, the menu system doesn't help.

Any ideas please.

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Repeated calls from return callers

Hey @JimandMyra,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on our forum pages.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having issues with nuisance callers, I've had these in the past and its really frustrating to keep getting the calls, we do have a section of our site dedicated to the problems with such callers and this can be found here.

Are all of the calls from the same number or are they numerous numbers that call you?

If the caller ID is showing as unavailable, we can arrange for that to be blocked via our anonymous call barring feature.  

Regards,

Steven_L

goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The call you received about 'people abroad trying to hack our router' was a scam call from someone pretending to be from VM. VM do not make unsolicited outbound calls for tech support.

It is likely that the same scammer has then used your telephone number as their fake caller ID in subsequent scam calls to other people. Those other people see your number pop up when the scammer rings them. Unfortunately, when they ring back, they are calling your number. There have been increasing reports of this on the forum.

Usually the scammers switch around their fake caller IDs regularly so, with any luck, the calls should die down on their own. In the meantime you could put a message on your answering machine advising that your number has been misused so you don't have to answer the call-backs.

Personally, I would suggest that VM's Anonymous Caller Rejection service may well cause you more problems than it solves as it is indiscriminate and may block genuine calls from medical/care providers who sometimes legitimately withhold their numbers. There are better ways to screen out unwanted calls.

If the calls continue then you may have to consider further measures.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media support staff will not call you in that way. What you had was a common scam call from an Indian call centre. They would have tried to convince you to download a remote access application to fix your problem, which would have allowed them to compromise your devices.

The problem you now have is that the scammers have cloned your telephone number & are hiding behind it to try scamming other people. There is no action you can take about this. The numbers the scammers use are regularly changed & the calls should stop as quickly as they started.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

JimandMyra
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven. 

Thanks for the quick reply and I can confirm that all of the calls were made from different numbers, both mobile and landline numbers. 

I think that it is as you suggest that the original unsolicited call has been the catalyst for our ongoing issue, which fortunately seems to be dropping off in volume of return callers.

Thanks again for your help and advice 

Jim

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply @JimandMyra and I'm glad to hear that the volume of these calls has dropped off for you and hopefully soon they wont be any at all for you.

if you need me to do anything for you or want any further actions take such as call barring, just let me know and I'll try my best to help.

Regards,

Steven_L

JimandMyra
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again Steven but I think I will just try to let it run its course as some of the apparent technical support phone calls I am getting are actually quite comical, but sinister at the same time. One fine young lady just called me on my own number and when I asked where she was, she quoted a London address, which is only 500 miles away from my dialing code area, she did offer to help me if I opened up my device to her domain address. 

Anyway,  thanks again for your help and advice 

Jim

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

They really are comical aren't they you have to laugh at them sometimes but they can be convincing enough for someone to not be thinking and just give out details or do as they say. 

I really hope the calls stop soon for you @JimandMyra.

Regards,

Steven_L