Menu
tzus
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Repeated Hoax Calls

Over the past four days I have received repeated hoax calls  They start with an automated voice stating that I missed a call from my Internet provider and that my Internet connection is due to be terminated in the next 24-48 hours due to illegal activity. You are then requested to Press 1 for  etc. . .  The caller sounds Asian.  I just hang up.

The latest call originated from the following number:

It appears the different numbers are involved each time

The best thing about being senile is you can hide your own Easter eggs.
0 Kudos
RobSB
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Repeated Hoax Calls

Me too! I'm in Carlisle - in case this thing is geographical.
0 Kudos
Poprivet
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Had a few of these calls over the last week, but they hung up when the answerphone kicked in. Today the message about illegal internet activity got through, and I pressed 1 as asked to. The person who answered had a thick Indian accent and by the time delay, was probably based there. He didn't know any of my details or why I was answering until I told him. He then went into overdrive trying to get me to download a program call "Teamviewer", luckily my browser didn't want to know and kept coming up with an error message. After 15 minutes he got fed up with getting nowhere and hung up. I Googled "Teamviewer" and found it was a program to remotely access computers, and that hackers had been using it to get peoples banking etc. details.

Caller ID read: Unavailable - out of area

I'm in Stevenage, so they're calling random numbers by the look of it.

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This is quite a common scam where users are duped.  Teamviewer is a remote access program, when installed enables the scammer to connect to your computer.  Common ruses are your IP has been hacked, we have "found" errors with your router, we are refunding you some money etc.  Since you answered the phone, the scammers are aware that your number is live, hence the repeat calls.  Your number may also be shared with other scammers.

Numbers are often used with IP telephone software (so not a real telephone) and numbers can be cloned or spoofed (obscure, old UK numbers or too may digits based on evidence provided by other posters elsewhere).  Once the software is installed, and if you follow instructions given (DO NOT DO THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES AND HANG UP IMMEDIATELY!) they perform "tests" or install software that you don't need or require.  They then ask you to log in to your bank to pay them for "support provision (or whatever)" (DO NOT DO THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!).  They can then have copied your bank login details and have direct access to your bank account.   People around the world have lost their life savings, and banks may not always refund losses you incur.

For more information, Jim Browning's youtube channel has examples of scammers in action: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jim+browning  

That said, you have done the right thing, but you may end up with more calls.  It's happened to me, but they do leave you alone eventually.  Stay vigilant and you should be okay.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
Enduser
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just a tip........which works for me,

Always leave your phone on voicemail/answerphone, and listen to the call before you answer it. In my experience if the caller is genuine, or someone that you know they will leave you a message. At least by using this method it gives you time to think about the call, if you just answer it you may get rushed into something that you may regret later.

On my phone I can store several hundred numbers, so that if the number that is calling is stored, the phone will say the name of the caller. It also allows me to block numbers, apparently the caller hears an engaged tone. I have noticed that a lot of the calls now have UK dialling codes, just to make you think that it is a genuine call.

0 Kudos