cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing the phone line cable?

RonnieG
Tuning in

I'm having new flooring laid shortly and my adapter is due and changeover around 13 October. Will the phone cable and current box be disconnected and surplus to requirements. Can I pull the cable up when I remove the old carpet and underlay. Thanks for any info. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @RonnieG,

Apologies for the delayed response. I was out of the office for the past couple of days which is why you didn't get a more immediate response.

You'll find further details within a private message I've just sent though regarding the visit. I cannot confirm the date/time publicly but you can check and manage/reschedule/cancel the appointment if needed via the My Virgin Media online account. It may not appear right away, but if you leave it at least an hour it should be updated to reflect that.

Please ensure that someone aged 18 or over is present at the property for the full duration of the slot, and let us know how it goes for you either way.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @RonnieG 👋

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

We will be switching off the outdated copper telephone network and instead make the home phone service operate over our fibre network, so following your migration the socket will no longer be in use. 

However, we would not recommend pulling or cutting cables yourself as there may be a risk of damaging active equipment.

We can arrange an engineer to do this for you however there is a non fault call out charge for £25.

Let me know if you wish to proceed. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

What will this cable be attached to exactly that can affect the new adapter and that warrants me to pay £25. I've been with NTL ever since it was installed in my area and been a very loyal customer! Not impressed. If anyone else can confirm removing the box and cable will not affect the future service feel free to reply. Thanks

It would only be removed post switchover. 

Are you able to provide some photographs?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

If it is convenient to connect your phone directly to hub, and you don’t have any other extensions dotted about, then yes, post switch over just cut away and remove the old wiring and sockets.

Thanks. I'll have phone next to hub as it's my main room. Extensions are only ones plugged into the wall sockets. Think these are Dect. I'm a bit derr when comes to phone tech stuff. Thanks again

Yes I can do this. 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response on this RonnieG,

So just to clarify are you able to connect the adaptor and handset together without the need of an extension?

Let us know,

Kain

As soon as Royal mail deliver it I'll let you know thank you!