Menu
ClimbCJH
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Relocating telephone cable from House to pole

I am trying to contact the right person/department at Virgin Media to enable me to get the telephone cable that runs from the roof of my house to the telephone pole relocated to a different position on my building as I need to have some work carried out on mu roof and it is currently in the way.

Can anyone help?

I spent a long time on the phone to Virgin being passed from one person to another only to be cut off for no reason. Very frustrating. Rather than go through the whole process again I thought I'd try this approach.

If anyone knows a contact number for the correct department I'd be very grateful or else it's back to the 'phone.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Relocating telephone cable from House to pole

Phone cables from a telephone pole in the street to your house would be owned by Openreach.

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Morning @ClimbCJH

Thanks for posting this on here and sorry to hear you're having some issues. 

Currently at the moment we are not doing non essential work whilst the pandemic is still happening. Our engineers are only doing jobs that are essential for our customers as we are trying to limit the amount of contact between our staff and customers. 

As things start to open up a bit more and we are allowed in each others homes, then we can look into carrying this out, but as it is non essential we wouldn't be able to do it now. 

Hope this clarifies a few things. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ClimbCJH
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi goslow,

Yes I know this but on contacting Open Reach they informed me that I have to go via my service provider, who would then in turn contact OpenReach who then would come out and move the cable.Even though I was persistent with OpenReach they would do nothing except to say the request has to come via the service provider

0 Kudos
ClimbCJH
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sasha,

As the cable is located in the street from the roof of my house to the top of the telegraph pole there is no issue with social contact. Anyway it needs an OpenReach engineer to carry out the work not a Virgin technician and OpenReach need and order from Virgin to carry out the work. Can you help?

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin do not do a phone line via telephone poles, all of their cables are supplied by Underground ducting 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@ClimbCJH wrote:

Hi goslow,

Yes I know this but on contacting Open Reach they informed me that I have to go via my service provider, who would then in turn contact OpenReach who then would come out and move the cable.Even though I was persistent with OpenReach they would do nothing except to say the request has to come via the service provider

Try the information here

https://www.openreach.com/network-services/altering-our-network/for-consumer-and-business-customers

ClimbCJH
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi dannylau,
This is what I thought althoug during my conversations with Virgin at no time did they explain this.
I'll go back to OpenReach and press my case.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi ClimbCJH, 

Thanks for coming back and sticking with us here. 

As mentioned above, as we don't use the Open Reach network so we don't have any contact with them regarding it. They may be advising this as other providers do use the Open Reach network so they would need to sort that in normal circumstances. 

As we use our own network which is underground, there is nothing we can do to help with this. 

You would need to speak directly with Open Reach for them to decide whether it's work they can take on. Please be aware that they may charge a fee for the service. You can find out more information by calling them on 0800 783 2023 and selecting option 1. 

Hope that helps.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

ClimbCJH
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kathy,

Thanks very much for your help. I now know what to do! Time to pester OpenReach. Thanks for all the useful info and contact numbers.

0 Kudos