Menu
gpweston
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Record of outgoing landline calls

My parents think they have been scammed (thought they were calling a certain company, paid money for a service, the service didn't work, now they think they weren't talking to who they thought they were)

We need to get the landline phone records of that day they made that call to check who they actually called.  How can we get that ?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Record of outgoing landline calls

Hello

If the call was a chargeable call your parents can check on the bill what number they called that day, Virginmedia do not record the conversation on the call so this would not be available.

You can check the bills at https://my.virginmedia.com/my-bills/index as well as downloading the ones that are needed and if the call was charged then it will be listed as long as over the minimum limit. If the call was not chargeable then I am afraid only a court order can get this information.

II would recommend contacting the police in the first instance.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You may not be able to do this as VM do not record all calls. But what you should do is look at your parents phone calls in My Virginmedia:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-cost-of-making-a-call

"Viewing your bill online".

But forgive me, how does it help to know what number they called? If they were scammed the scammers won't still be on that number, will they?  If they thought they were talking to a reputable company where they are already customers wouldn't it be more profitable to call them and find out what has been going on and whether they did , in fact,  take calls from your parents. Of course your parents would have to phone because of data protection protocols.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
gpweston
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The calls are free so not itemised on their bill.

The reputable company they thought they called have no record of this which is why we're now trying to determine who they actually called.  Either to follow the scamming thread or prove to the reputable company that they actually took the call.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK. As far as I know VM do not keep records of calls to freefone numbers. Why would they? They only store data necessary for the running of their business.  Since the calls are free their is nothing to bill. Scammers wouldn't be offering free calls so look at my VM and see what is listed for that date.

gpweston
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I'll clarify

The number was a regular landline.  It doesn't show up on their bill because landlines are free in their phone package.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for clarifying.

Read this thread. These numbers won't show up in My VM:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Itemised-billing-needed-for-all-charged-calls/td-p/4...

I'm intrigued by your story so I'm going ask VM staff here whether VM hold the information you want (actually I don't think they do because they don't need it for business purposes) but you deserve a definitive reply. And if they do how to go about getting it. It's not going to be quick. Watch this space for an answer.

@ModTeam - the VM helpfiles are silent on this question. Can you clarify please.

gpweston
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  

I expect the information is recorded, for use by Police investigations for example, but maybe available via a formal request of some kind.

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi gpweston, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

Firstly I would like to pass on my apologies to your parents - I hope this is able to be resolved for them. As @HowardML and @DJ_Shadow1966 has stated above we do not store/hold that information, I am sorry to bring you that news. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
gpweston
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ryan, hi.

I can understand this might not be information readily available.  But I have read elsewhere that this information is kept and provided in cases where required for (for example) Police investigations, court cases, etc.

Since this is a potential fraud case I would hope that is a situation when the information is provided.  

0 Kudos