Menu
John_Co
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Recommendations for new phone?

I posted here shortly after joining Virgin Media last year because my old BT phone did not show the number of a caller, which it used to do before I switched to VM. Despite several attempts by VM it is still not working so I think I will have to get a new phone.

VM only became available in my area last year and the phone is plugged into the back of the Virgin Hub 3. Can anyone recommend a phone that they know works in this situation, including Caller Display?

I did consider a trueCall device but never received a reply to my email to them, but if someone has one of those and it works well I might still consider one.

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recommendations for new phone?

There are a few occasional mentions on the forums of compatibility issues with some phones and some VM caller ID.

How old is the BT phone which no longer shows caller ID on the VM connection? You mention in a previous topic the BT Relate 2100 model.

Have you tried any other phones (borrowed from somewhere to test with) to see if you get any caller ID at all on any different phone?

0 Kudos
John_Co
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I can't remember exactly when we bought the BT Relate 2100 but it could well be 15 years ago.

I do not have any other phones to try (and borrowing one is not easy at the moment) which is why I was looking for a recommendation from someone that does have a recent phone that works with Caller Display with this "new" kind of setup (21CV?) where the phone is plugged into the Hub rather than a separate BT socket.

I would also like notification if someone leaves me a voicemail message as I used to have that (an LED on the phone would light) also before moving to VM but that is not working now either.

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ideally you want to confirm that caller ID is working OK on the line using another phone before you buy a new one by testing with a borrowed phone (if it is feasible to do in a safe way). Have you actually seen that caller ID is functioning correctly since you have had the VM service installed (e.g. when the technician set the system up to begin with for example did the tech plug in a phone and test the caller ID?).

Your existing phone does appear to be about 15 years old from model info. so it may simply be a case of its age not being suitable for the newer 21CV connection. I believe the VM voicemail presents a slightly different dial tone sound when you have a message waiting. You may be better off with a phone which has its own answering machine perhaps which you can control directly yourself.

One thing you can try is a workaround fix for a different problem often mentioned on here to see if it helps your situation. (A problem where older equipment often makes no ringing sound for incoming calls on the 21CV hub connection).

A fix for this is to plug in an ADSL microfilter into the VM adapter into the back of the hub and then plug the phone into the phone socket side of the ADSL microfilter. (VM Hub > VM phone adapter > ADSL microfilter > Telephone).

I am not too hopeful this will help your caller ID problem but, for the age of your phone, it would expect to receive a ringing signal via ringing capacitor (not present in the hub but is present in the ADSL microfilter). In the BT system, I believe the caller ID data is sent between first and second ring. I am wondering if the caller ID in your phone is waiting for a ringing signal which the hub on its own is not providing.

Anyway, if you happen to have an ADSL microfilter lying around you could try it connected as above and see if you get any caller ID showing. It would be a simple thing to try.

If not, you would need to either a) borrow a phone to confirm you do actually have caller ID working OK on the line or b) take a punt on buying a new phone in the hope it worked.

You originally mentioned the trueCall device. I use the trueCall standalone device (on a conventional VM phone socket) and it works very well at screening out nuisance calls. It also acts as an answering machine if the VM voicemail is turned off.

There have been past mentions on the forum of trueCall users being able to contact trueCall support who have been able to dial in remotely to the trueCall device and tweak the configuration to account for issues with VM caller ID.

At the moment though it is not clear if caller ID is working OK on your line or not so ideally you need to try and confirm that before buying any more kit.

0 Kudos
John_Co
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I got a call this morning from VM about my ticket (that I think I created last year!) and they said that everything is OK as far as they can see and I need to buy a new handset which is "a VOIP phone" with "a REN greater than 1"

I tried to get a specific recommendation from them for a handset that they knew worked with the VM 21CV system but they would not give one. They did mention Panasonic so I will ask them and if I find out anything more I will post here.

0 Kudos
John_Co
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I never got a reply from Panasonic.

I also asked Gigaset but they could not guarantee that one of their phones would work.

I decided to buy the cheapest new phone that had Caller Display that I could find locally, and that phone did show my number when I called from my mobile!

It looks like VM were right and the problem was my old BT handset.

The phone I tried was a Binatone Veva 1900 Call Blocker Single DECT Cordless Telephone and it was £14.99 from Argos .

Now that I know that the Caller Display works I may gamble on a Gigaset phone and keep the Binatone as a backup.

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John_Co,

thanks so much for the update, I'm glad to hear that a new handset did the trick and your calling display feature is now working.

If you need help with anything else from here you know where to find us!

Have a great weekend.

Beth

0 Kudos