cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REN number?

Madgescotland
Joining in

Just spent some 45 minutes on the mobile to Virgin Media "help line" regarding connecting the new Fibre Phone adaptor to my BT base unit handset 😡 Eventually the advisor told me ask a neighbour to borrow their phone to check if it works in my home as the "REN" number on my BT landline phone may not be compatible to the Virgin net work. If my neighbours phone worked (assuming that I have cooperative neighbours) then my relatively new BT base unit and the 3 extention phones (that cost around £60:00) would then be useless.

Anyone else as frustrated as me with this "Helpline" advice surely I am not the only one 😤

14 REPLIES 14

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Madgescotland, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community although I am sorry to hear you're having an issue with connecting your new handsets up to use. 

You can view more information on compatibility here: Virgin Phone - Compatibility and Connectivity

There is also lots of information regarding the switchover here: Virgin Phone Switchover

Please let us know if you have any further queries, questions or issues. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The REN maximum on a standard POTS landline is 4. For the new hub based lines this reduces to 3, so this may be a consideration moving forward. Many people have done away with fixed extensions in favour of DECT handsets that are wireless & can be used like a mobile phone.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Madgescotland wrote:

Just spent some 45 minutes on the mobile to Virgin Media "help line" regarding connecting the new Fibre Phone adaptor to my BT base unit handset 😡 Eventually the advisor told me ask a neighbour to borrow their phone to check if it works in my home as the "REN" number on my BT landline phone may not be compatible to the Virgin net work. If my neighbours phone worked (assuming that I have cooperative neighbours) then my relatively new BT base unit and the 3 extention phones (that cost around £60:00) would then be useless.

Anyone else as frustrated as me with this "Helpline" advice surely I am not the only one 😤

Are you talking about a cordless phone system with a base station plugged into the hub (presumably with its own accompanying handset) then a further three cordless handsets in use around the home (total 4 cordless handsets).

Or do you mean you have a cordless base station plugged into the hub (with its own accompanying cordless handset) and you want to use a further 3 corded handsets in the home via extension sockets?

What issue(s) are you experiencing or are you just planning ahead prior to being switched over by VM?

It’s a 13amp BT base answer machine with cordless phone that I have endeavoured to connect to the media hub 3 using the Fibre phone adapter without any success whatsoever. There are also 3 13amp cordless phone extension units.

@Madgescotland wrote:
It’s a 13amp BT base answer machine with cordless phone that I have endeavoured to connect to the media hub 3 using the Fibre phone adapter without any success whatsoever. There are also 3 13amp cordless phone extension units.

If you are using a cordless base station with 4 cordless handsets then REN is not likely to be your issue since it is only the base station that is plugged into the VM line.

Are you connecting the phone to the VM hub because VM has told you (by a letter or email) that you are being 'switched' to that way of connecting the phone and they have sent you an adapter to do this?

If VM is switching you, what date have they given you for the switchover?

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello Madgescotland, thanks for your posts and replies. 

We'd like to advise that REN number is the capacity of the line in regard to how many handsets you can have plugged onto the line and in use, this may vary but usually is 3. 
May I please ask if all 4 handsets in use are plugged on to the hub and/or extension sockets individually, atm?

Also, could you please tell us if the line works if you remove one or more of these handsets or still getting an issue?
Best way to test this is to remove all but the main handset and check.

Let us know of the above, happy to assist further.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Mikedp23
Tuning in

VM support told me my phone REN was too low  , but it had worked fine for the first  3 months since using VM with Hub 3.0  .  My issue is that 1/2 the incoming calls i cannot hear the caller.

They said the remote test said REN=0.36   and it needs to be greater that 1 .   The DECT phone and wired handset I connected are both marked REN 1 

Cant find any phones on line that give a REN number so am reluctant to buy replacements with out a guarantee it will work . Asked VM for a list of suitable phones that will work 100%    . Watch this space !

That’s exactly the issue I have.

I have asked VM level 2 support for the make and model of a Dect phone that I should buy that will work with their hub5.  They say they can’t tell me and I should ask at the phone shop for a phone with a REN greater than 1.

None of the retailers can help.

Is there an official standard that a VOIP phone should comply with in the UK ?

@peterashuk wrote:

That’s exactly the issue I have.

I have asked VM level 2 support for the make and model of a Dect phone that I should buy that will work with their hub5.  They say they can’t tell me and I should ask at the phone shop for a phone with a REN greater than 1.

None of the retailers can help.

Is there an official standard that a VOIP phone should comply with in the UK ?

I'd suggest VM is leading you on a wild goose chase with this hunt for a phone with a REN greater than 1, IMHO.

You'd do best to keep your phone fault/Hub 5 query all in one place on your original topic

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Hub5-needs-a-phone-with-REN1/m-p/5271850