cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about the landline switch to fibre

ZeroIowa
Joining in

Hey everyone,

We have a technician visit booked to switch our phone line over to fibre and to install a hub. We don't use the phone line and we don't have broadband with them so it will all be left unplugged once it's done, which we've been told will be fine as doing the switchover was unavoidable. The only service we are using with them is the TV.

I had presumed that whatever they needed to do would be done via the existing phone socket box thingy, switching a few cables etc, but I've read some things online today that suggest that may not be the case. As such, I have no idea what actual physical work the technician will be doing to "install" the hub and the fibre line that we won't be using. Can anyone enlighten me on this please?

Thanks,

Susan

8 REPLIES 8

ZeroIowa
Joining in

Essentially, I'm a little worried they're going to want to dig the drive up or something to install the line, which I will not be letting them do. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ZeroIowa,

Thank you for getting back in touch with us over the Community Forums! Thank you for your post, and we appreciate the confusion.

However, as you do not have broadband services with us, we will provide a dummy Hub so you can have the new landline services plugged in. We will not be installing broadband with us, this fake Hub will be there to provide power to your new landline connection.

Please let us know if you have anymore questions, we're always happy to help.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you @Paulina_Z, so they'll be working solely with the existing installation points (dummy hub aside)?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ZeroIowa,

That is correct! 🙂 There will be no need to dig anything up. It will be a simple case of plugging in equipment.

Let me know how your install goes and if you need any further help! 🙂

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

That's great, thank you for setting my mind at rest!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Zerolowa,

No problem at all! I'm glad that I could ease your mind! 🙂

You can always read up on our Home Phone Switchover over on our website for more information.

Thank you!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

As you seem to have TV without broadband from VM you must have a TiVo box which requires a coaxial cable. What the tech will do is split the cable with one leg going to the tiVo and the other leg to the new hub. Your handset will be connected to the hub. If in future you upgrade to broadband and a 360 TV box it will be a simple matter to replace the existing boxes with the new ones.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks for getting back to us ZeroIowa

Please do let us know how the install goes.  Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R