cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with phone extensions

peterwallison
Joining in

We have moved over to the new router-based landline a few weeks ago.

We had a problems with one of the extensions so we borrowed another set from my mother-in-law.

We are now having problems with this set too, and I am beginning to wonder if the problems stem from the change from copper or fibre cable to router-based landline.

The main phone always seems to work - could the extensions be incompatible with VOIP?

Many thanks,

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@peterwallison wrote:

We had a problems with one of the extensions so we borrowed another set from my mother-in-law.

We are now having problems with this set too, and I am beginning to wonder if the problems stem from the change from copper or fibre cable to router-based landline.

The main phone always seems to work - could the extensions be incompatible with VOIP?

Many thanks,

Peter

Are you referring to a cordless phone system (base station and satellite handsets) when you refer to 'extensions' or are you talking out telephone extension sockets on the wall?

After the switchover, telephone wall sockets will cease to function unless you get VM to link them to the phone socket on the back of the VM hub.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @peterwallison  

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issue with your landline!

What problems are you experiencing exactly with the landline extensions? If you can elaborate on this we'll look to assist you further.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@peterwallison wrote:

Many thanks,

Peter

Are you referring to a cordless phone system (base station and satellite handsets) when you refer to 'extensions' or are you talking out telephone extension sockets on the wall?

After the switchover, telephone wall sockets will cease to function unless you get VM to link them to the phone socket on the back of the VM hub.

It's a cordless system - a base unit connected to the router incorporating an answerphone, and one or two wireless handsets that come with a recharge unit but don't have any wired connections.

I charge the batteries continually but the handsets seem to go completely "dead" for no reason.

I confess that I was inclined to blame the handsets but now it's happened with two different sets......

Many thanks 

1) As 2 set had the flat battery situation, are you quite sure the cordless phone bases are charging the handsets ?

2) Cordless phone batteries can be well past their best by 3 years & in need of replacement.

This is a link to a provider of cordless phone batteries.   ( They look like AAA size but they differ at the tip and at the base  )

https://www.buyabattery.co.uk/batteries-by-use/cordless-phone-batteries/bt-cordless-phone-batteries....

@peterwallison wrote:

It's a cordless system - a base unit connected to the router incorporating an answerphone, and one or two wireless handsets that come with a recharge unit but don't have any wired connections.

I charge the batteries continually but the handsets seem to go completely "dead" for no reason.

I confess that I was inclined to blame the handsets but now it's happened with two different sets......

Many thanks 

Can you clarify what you mean by 'dead' with regard to the handsets?

No power at all to them and they won't switch on or you have no dial tone from the satellite handsets?

If the handsets are powered on but with no dial tone ...

Have you tested whether the satellite handsets can communicate with the base station and each other? You can possibly do this in two ways.

Some cordless systems have a paging function (often controlled from a button on the base station). When you 'page' the handsets, all of the cordless handsets should ring. That would indicate the base station and the handsets are in communication with each other.

Secondly can you make internal calls between the handsets of the cordless system?

You may need to check the manual for your cordless system to see if these features are available for your make/model of phone system.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @peterwallison Thank you for confirming that information. 

Are you able to try the troubleshooting steps advised very kindly by our community members? 

We'll need to see if it's the handset itself that is causing the issue as you say that the main line works as should. Once we have the details we'll be able to assist further if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley