forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Jercox
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Problem keeping old number

Hi, 

I've just had a new install today (new customer) and when I placed order I definitely clicked "keep existing number, but apparently the engineer knew nothing about this and said to call customer service. I've tried 4 or 5 times today, in total over 3 hours, but when I get through to someone they keep passing onto someone else, until I finally get cut off. The equipment has been installed, but it's not activated, and I don't know what to do, as I need to keep the old number, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I also don't know how to activate the equipment either. 

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem keeping old number

the installer should of activated it.
You'll geyt a new number until your number is ported over.

Make sure you do not ask your old provider to cancel. The number port can only happen from an active account with no cancelation on the line
0 Kudos
Jercox
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Nothing has been activated and the engineer didn't tell me how to activate but just said he knew nothing about keeping the old number and that I should contact customer service, which I tried for over 3 hours with no luck. My contract with my old provider ends on Sunday, so if I can't get an answer from Virgin soon, I may end up losing the number, unless I cancel my virginmedia account and stay with old provider. What now?

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

if your contract with the old provider ends on Sunday i assume you have asked the old provider to cancel.
if that is the case the number port will fail as you can not transfer a number from a line that has a cancelation request on it.

you need to call your old provider and stop your cancelation or you will lose the number
0 Kudos
Jercox
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm confused. I placed the order with Virginmedia on the 26th of June and explained that my existing contract was due to end on the 2nd of August and they said if I installed Virgin a few days before keeping the old number would not be a problem. Are you now saying I have to renew my contract with my old provider to keep the number, as the contact had come to an end? Why has nobody from virginmedia told me this and how long will I have to wait for this to happen (and pay 2 bills) and will it actually happen? Is there a person I can speak with to sort this out, as none of the services are even activated yet?

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

you do not have to renew the old contract youjust keep paying for the next month. You won't be in a new contract.

The line must be active without a cancelation on that is ofcoms rules.

0 Kudos