Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Porting phone number - Virgin to Virgin house move

Hello,

I recently moved house and as I was in contract with Virgin still I took the contract with me including phone number.

As part of the move you can upgrade and reconstruct for another year st the new property which we did.

We organised the porting if the phone number and all was well we thought.

Turns out, instead of porting the number on the date Virgin set, it turns out Virgin have released the number back to BT. This is nothing to do with me as Virgin arranged to port the number to new address.

Virgin have now got it sorted that when I ring out I use my old number, but no-one can ring in. This is now over a month without a phone.

Virgin Customer Services insist I need to call BT to release the number. BT I haven't been with for over 2 years so wont deal with me.

Virgin messed this up so how do I sort it? Their customer services want nothing to do with me as they keep saying should call BT. But BT wont deal with me.

On top of all this, the engineer that visited said the problem is part of the new system of plugging the phone into the router. Works for new customers but not ones with ported numbers. He said the UK customer service need to deal with it and he was on the phone to them and was supposed to be sorte . It now hasnt been after the agreed date but cant get through to the UK side as no contact details.

Sorry, but don't want a new number as had the old for over 20 years.

Anyone had similar or a solution please?

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Porting phone number - Virgin to Virgin house move

Thank you for your post Markg2004 and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear of the complications with your number port.

Once the number has been released and isn't on a working line we'd not be able to transfer this over to an account I'm afraid.

Have you raised a complaint in regards to this? If so, do you have the reference for this as I can provide an update for you if so? 

We're sure the complaints team will look into a reasonable resolution for your experience. I'll include our complaints code of practice here for you if you'd like to get to know the process we'll go through with you. This also includes the methods of which you can raise on if you haven't already. 

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily,

Yes, I have raised a complaint and told I would get a call with 24-48hours. No call yet and am reaching that time limit. #30M103941046

"Once the number has been released and isn't on a working line we'd not be able to transfer this over to an account I'm afraid." This is all well and good, and understand that, but Virgin are the ones who have messed this up. So the solution is we've messed up, deal with it? We had the number on our Virgin account, all it needed was to be transferred to our new account at our new home. For a phone number we have had for 20 years it is not good enough I am afraid.

I am sorry, but that isn't good enough. The engineer that came round said it wouldn't be a problem to sort, a request had gone to BT to retrieve the number, but I needed to talk to senior customer service representatives as it is an acute problem. It is not an everyday problem and the generic call centre could not know how to deal with it. 

Who do I need to talk to sort it, please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear of the problems that you've been having with the move and transfer of your number to your new account. 

I have been able to locate your account and see that one of my colleagues in the number porting team is looking into this with BT and has yet to get a response from them.

Unfortunately the porting team aren't available today as they are only open Monday to Saturday, I will chase the agent tomorrow and see if there is any update from BT.

I will come back to with an update soon to let you know what is happening, I hope that we can get your number back but we are at the mercy of BT being able to release the number back to us. I will let you know, when I have further information. 

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven,

Thanks for looking into it.

Despite not being able to call in, but can call-out on our old number in the new property, I have just been caught off guard by the phone ringing. Turns out Virgin have now completely switched our number to one completely different.

Looking forward to your reply.

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me Mark, it appears that the number change to the temporary number has gone through but this is to ensure that the BT number isn't on our network at a wrong address for emergency services purposes. 

The agent who has been dealing with this is only in from 5 pm today, I will ask him to contact you to explain what is happening with your account as I will have left for the day by the time he is in.

Regards

Steven_L 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven,

No-one contacted me last night, and on top of that, no-one has contacted me since I lodged my complaint last Friday despite being told I would get a call within 24-48 hours.

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for being patient with us Mark, we have now been able to claim your number back from BT and have scheduled this to be added to your line tomorrow. This will be done throughout the day tomorrow but should be before 19:45, you wont need to do anything as long as your plugged into your hub, the number will change over automatically and work on your line.

I apologise that nobody has contacted you about your complaint, I have added a note onto this to get the team to contact you as soon as they can. Was it the customer service team that told you, you would be getting a call back. The team stated that they called you on 16/02 but weren't able to get a response. I have put you in a queue to be contacted again by the complaints agent as soon as possible.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven,

Thanks for following this all through, almost a month late but we have the number again and I can make and receive calls on it.

In the meantime, whilst you have been most helpful, I still haven't heard from the complaints team. Further to this, I never received any missed calls from them either when you said they had tried to call me on the mobile number you hold (home phone was obviously not working!) so I have my doubts on that but I would have to take your word on that. My initial complaint was raised over the phone where I received the complaint reference.

Will look forward to talking to them, and in the process of fairness, pass on my feedback regarding yourself and how helpful you have been. You and the engineer have been second to none, call centre not so much.

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Markg2004, 

Thanks for the message, we do aim to contact customers within 28 days once a complaint is made. 

You will be able to view the complaints code of practice here  ^Chris. 

0 Kudos