cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting phone no away from VM

ncsncs
Tuning in

I am in the process of porting my phone number away from VM to a virtual phone number company and they tell me that because the phone is part of a broadband, tv, phone package that the broadband service will be cancelled as well. 

Thats not an issue as I'm getting a new broadband service installed in the next week or so, but is the virtual phone number company correct or will I have to contact VM after the number port completes to cancel the broadband and tv part of the package ?

21 REPLIES 21

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi NCSNCS, welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Would you be able to confirm if you are looking to port a landline number or mobile number?

If a landline number - you will need to have active services in order for your new provider to request the number and port it over. Following this you will then need to get back in touch with us to request the cancellation of any services. 

None of your services will ever be cancelled automatically, we would need confirmation from the account holder to process this. Here's all the information you may need on how to cancel. 

All the best. 

Molly

Hi Molly,

Sorry, I should have said, it's a landline number.

Kind regards,

Nigel

No Problem! Hopefully the additional information in my first reply helps clear things up?

Let us know if you have any other questions or require any further support! 

All the best. 

Molly

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ncsncs wrote:

I am in the process of porting my phone number away from VM to a virtual phone number company and they tell me that because the phone is part of a broadband, tv, phone package that the broadband service will be cancelled as well. 

Thats not an issue as I'm getting a new broadband service installed in the next week or so, but is the virtual phone number company correct or will I have to contact VM after the number port completes to cancel the broadband and tv part of the package?

If you are moving away from VM completely, your existing number must not have a cancellation against it or it will stop the number port in its tracks. The new provider handles the cancellation for you. So you should only be cancelling, TV & Broadband. However, as they are all part of the same contract you cannot cancel one part without cancelling the others.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Molly,

Yes, I think I have all the info now thank you. Once the number has moved I'll contact VM give notice, I assume it's 30 days notice, but the final bill will be pro-rated. 

Kind regards,

Nigel

Hi Nigel, 

Yes you are absolutely correct! There is a 30 day notice for a downgrade or cancellation order. 

Any charges are adjusted by pro-rata to accurately reflect your service use. 

Here are all the ways to cancel when you do get to this stage: How to cancel Virgin Media broadband & TV | Virgin Media Help

You can also return to this thread if you have any issues and we will be happy to help!

All the best. 

Molly

Well even if the costs go up it's not for long...it all depends on how long it takes to port the phone number...my new bb service should be installed Sept 1st, and as soon as the number port completes I'll be cancelling the remaining service.

Thank you for letting us know. 

Hopefully your new provider completes the number port as quickly as possible to avoid any delays! 

Wishing you all the best of luck with the transfer!

Molly

Well they can only do their work quickly if VM pass over the phone number quickly:-)....I'm being told 2-4 weeks to port a number which seems rather a long time for something which I imagine is largely automated