cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting old number nightmare - please help!

Drabid58
Tuning in

Hi,

I signed up to VM almost 3 weeks ago, had to wait until yesterday for the earliest engineer appointment for installation. I requested the transfer of our landline number when placing the order and although I saw no reference to it on the contract paperwork, I could only hope it was being dealt with before my cancellation deadline with current provider of 25th May...

Big Mistake! Got told yesterday by the engineer that I now need to wait another 7-10 working days to actually get the old number. Obviously got alarmed given deadline above with old provider so rang virgin media and spoke to 2 different advisors only to get confused even more - first one said to just wait out the recommended time period and couldn't understand the problem with me losing my current service on 25th May and therefore losing a phone number that I've had for nearly 20 years! 

Was then transferred to 'retentions' when I asked for escalation only to get told that there is actually no port in request from virgin and that I need to contact NowTv to sort out the transfer. When I explained that I was told by engineer and first advisor that Virgin have actually complete the port in request form yesterday, was told to simply contact NowTV - awful CS!

Have changed providers for parents and myself in the past and never had a problem with this before. I called NowTV this afternoon and was advised that understandably line had to be active for VM to transfer my number. They have also confirmed there is NO request as yet from VM. I have therefore had to today extend notice to my old provider (Now Tv) until 1st June and will likely need to pay cancellation charges in addition to paying for extra service from them now despite having virgin installed supposedly!!

This is simply not good enough from VM and a very disappointing start, actually wondering if its worth cancelling my VM order and simply staying with NowTV despite problems with their speed. 

Can anyone from VM actually confirm the number transfer request is in progress, and whether this will happen before 1st June?

7 REPLIES 7

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Drabid58 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here.

We are so sorry that you have faced this issue with your service and thank you again for your post. We would love to help and ensure that the landline number can be ported across.

Can I just confirm, have you spoken to your previous supplier who have confirmed that the number is still active with them? 

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

As per the OFCOM regulations for a number port the onus is on the ‘receiving’ provider, ie VM in this case, to do all the work, so absolutely, you should not have to contact NowTV to sort anything out - if anything, they may well get in touch with you to double check that you really did authorise it.

One thing about a number port, if there is any pending cancellation request against the ‘original’ provider, then the port may well (probably will) fail. So if you have already put in a cancellation request with NowTV, even though it is in the future, it is very likely that the port will not go through (OFCOM rules, not necessarily VM’s or NowTV’s fault(, although VM really should have made this clear when you requested the port and do seem to be particularly bad in letting the customers know if anything goes wrong.

What you actually need to do is to contact NowTV and cancel the cancellation, like I said if there is any sort of pending cease notice on the account the port will most likely fail and you will lose the number. Which means you are paying for two systems until such time as VM extract digit and port the number over - doing this will, by necessity, cancel the NowTV provision.

As to your question regarding the merits of just staying with NowTV, well, you have had a glimpse of the quality of VM’s customer care, professionalism and ability to ‘do stuff’ - I’ll leave you to make your own decision!

@VMUser1812, appreciate your help. Will probably do that next if I don't get anywhere with this on here...

Yes, I spoke to NowTV yesterday and they confirmed number is still active with them and that there is no VM porting request as yet...

Can you please look into this? Would be much appreciated!

Thanks for coming back to us @Drabid58.

I'd be happy to pick this up for you, to see what we can do to assist.

Please check out the envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Still waiting on someone from VM to get back to me after the initial PMs assuring help 😔