Menu
Carl_DG
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Porting of telephone number from SKY

I’ve just signed up to Virgin after being a loyal SKY customer for 20+ years. When signing up I ticked the box to confirm that I wish to keep my landline number.

Im concerned after reading various threads that it has been a nightmare for some customers and they have been messed around by both parties. For me it is crucial that I keep the number which is 35+ years old and is very well known among a family/friends etc. Anyway I have received no comms from Virgin as to whether it has successfully been ported however I keep getting reminders SMS messages saying that they’ll be doing external work at my house. If I can’t port my number I will cancel the whole thing. They seem to put the cart before the horse and now I’m worried that I could lose the number forever. Is there anyway I can check if it has been successfully ported? I’m due to have virgin installed on 18th May

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Porting of telephone number from SKY

Hello

As long as you do not cancel the Sky package the number port will normally go ahead, the way the port works when requested by yourself. VM will install the equipment with a temporary number and then within a few day up to 10 the port will go ahead and your SKY phone line will be cancelled. Under no circumstance are you too tell sky that you are cancelling the phone line, if you do this SKY will refuse to port..

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Carl_DG
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike,

I see, that makes sense. 

Cant wait to get Virgin media. The download speeds look amazing compared to sky and no more issues with bad weather or overgrown trees blocking signal 😃👍🏻 

Carl 

0 Kudos
JustPete
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Have you had any emails or other communiction from Sky telling you when yor services with them will end?

If you have then it's extremely unlikely that your number will be ported.

0 Kudos
Carl_DG
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Based on your email, I called virgin and sky to confirm. Virgin have said yes it’s definitely going ahead and sky confirmed that they received the request. So I am a lot more confident now, however knowing my luck one of the parties will make a balls up which is why I have deliberately made sure I have been proactive and ordered for virgin to go live on 18th May and Sky to cut off on 31st 

0 Kudos