Menu
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Porting landline telephone number away from Virgin Media process

Hi all, my landline is currently with Virgin Media and I'm about to start the process of porting my telephone number away from Virgin Media to a new service provider. Both the Virgin Media side and the new service provider side are currently active and live. I'm not moving address, number porting will occur at the same address. On the Virgin Media side I have a landline and broadband and I'm not tied into any VM contract.

What happens to the services on the Virgin Media side following the porting request being actioned? 

I think it would be safe to assume that Virgin Media are going to cancel and terminate the phone line part of my provisioned services on my VM account when the number port is actioned. Will this process trigger Virgin Media to shutdown the provisioned broadband service at that time too?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Porting landline telephone number away from Virgin Media process

For the record I called customer services and was advised that:

1. The landline number will be ported away from Virgin Media to the new service provider some time after when the porting request is received from the new service provider and the exact point in time when the port will occur will be at some point up to ten working days from when the request is received. 
  2. When number porting occurs, the Virgin Media landline service will cease and be removed from the account.
  3. Any other services on the Virgin Media account i.e. Broadband and TV remain unaffected by the telephone landline number port and will remain intact after the port occurs.
  4. An automatic adjustment will be applied to the account package monthly charge to take into consideration removal of the phone service from the account.

That all sounds marvelous and if it goes as smoothly as this I'll be very happy and also amazed 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I'm considering doing exactly the same, porting the telephone service to VOIP, but retaining Virgin Broadband.

Would be interested to find out if the process is as simple as you outlined above. I've found in the past that making any changes to my VM account can often be a fraught and error-prone process! I can't afford to be without broadband as I'm working from home at the moment.

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, there does appear to be a bit of a issue of lack of detailed information around the process of landline number porting away from Virgin Media. There is no guarantee that what happens for me will be duplicated for someone else when they attempt this but I will document the experience here.

One thing is clear about this process: in order for a landline number port from Virgin to another service provider to successfully complete, telephone / VoIP services need to be fully active on both sides. In the customer services call with Virgin that I mentioned in my prior comment, when I asked the customer service lady the question mentioned in my post #1 in this thread, she appeared to interpret this question as me wanting to immediately close my Virgin account down. Doing this would be a disaster stroke for landline number porting and I had to make it explicitly clear that this should not happen and that nothing on the Virgin account should be touched by Virgin until the porting request had been received from the new service provider. 

Since that call I have submitted the porting request to my new service provider, this request was immediately forwarded to Virgin and Virgin have in turn acknowledged receipt along with a planned porting date of next Friday 07/08/2020. Shortly after that I then received an email from Virgin advising of a change to my account where the "Phone: Telephone Line Rental - Talk More Anytime" service has now been removed from my account along with a slight (virtually negligible) adjustment to the Virgin account monthly bundle cost which will take effect on the next Virgin billing event.

As things stand right now, both Virgin landline and broadband services continue to work as normal so it appears that both (1) and (4) mentioned in post #2 in this thread are proceeding as planned. 

I'm going to assume that in doing whatever Virgin has done so far in this process, they have not released my landline number back into the pool and created a disaster in waiting. I'll also assume that the number port is going to successfully complete on 07/08/2020 as planned and that Virgin broadband will continue to work when that happens. We'll all know one way or the other soon enough.

I'll post again with another update when the next significant thing happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jlippa,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear you are taking your services to another provider, In regards to your number being ported as long as your services are active and there is an active export on the account as long as the other company take it this will then cancel the phone line side of things retaining the number with them.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

You say the change in cost to your bundle is negligible. Are you saying that once you cancel phone service on Virgin after the port, your bill isn't going to go down significantly?

We have Virgin's 24/7 free calls package, plus of course the line rental, and 350 Mbit broadband. I'd expect should it drop to broadband only I'd see a drop in my bill from something like £65 to more like £40 or £45?

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi again,

As a long standing existing VM customer, it is / was £62.50 a month here for their inclusive anytime landline (limited to 60 mins per call before they charge), 100Mbps broadband service and Virgin's most basic unwanted and actually unused TV package. Now that they have applied their adjustment following landline removal from my account, their idea of a good deal for the bundle is £57.60 a month.

The thing with landline rental and Virgin Media is that there is basically no way to avoid this fee. If you compare their published service costs between a phone and broadband bundle and a broadband only contract, the prices are quite similar because when you don't have a landline they hike the cost of the broadband only service to cover their "loss".

It's well known that everything is negotiable with Virgin Media. This is why all of their existing old customers who are not on new customer contracts package end up paying vastly different rates for exactly the same services. This business practice and way of treating customers forces everyone onto a treadmill of continually having to extract the best deal via negotiation or end up paying whatever Virgin think they can extract. 

Game over, I'm not playing any more.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

"when you don't have a landline. In short they hike the cost of the broadband only service to cover their "loss"."

Wrong. They give you a package discount for the more services you have. They discount the price when you have the landline not put up the price of BB if you don't

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
"when you don't have a landline. In short they hike the cost of the broadband only service to cover their "loss"."

Wrong. They give you a package discount for the more services you have. They discount the price when you have the landline not put up the price of BB if you don't

This might be the theory but as existing customers in Virgin Media's reality, discounting for multiple services in a bundle doesn't persist over time or approach explaining why everybody ends up paying different prices for the same services and service bundles.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm happy to say that my landline number successfully ported away from Virgin Media to a new service provider today. Virgin Media broadband service remains intact and working following landline number port.

0 Kudos