cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting landline number

jeh112
Joining in

Frustrations about porting a VM landline number from one account to another at one same address - any help welcomed with much gratitude!

The story so far:
My son had a VM account here at my address for broadband and landline. He's moved out and had arranged with VM that as his account was moved to his new address, the landline number here would remain the same because I would set up my own VM account, also for broadband and landline here.
He was told in an online chat that there might be a few hours or up to a day without a landline, but that if I called to get the old number re-activated, it would be done very quickly. The only risk of my losing the number, he was told, was if somebody else requested that same number.

This didn't happen. My package was activated on 1st Sept, but there was no landline at all after midday that day. And when I rang customer services that evening I was told the old number would be reactivated on my line the next day. 

This didn't happen, but there was a dial tone on the home phone though I hadn't been told what the phone number was for it.

I rang VM customer services again on 3rd September and asked for and was told the new number that had been activated on my line. I was also faithfully promised that a request was now going to be sent for me to have the old number back and that it would take up to ten days - only ten rather than fourteen because the number had previously been on a VM account (my son's). I was not happy but prepared to wait.

Today 8th September I decided that check that this was in hand - and was told that yes there were "notes" on my account about porting the old number, but that in fact no request had actually been made.

Here's the very frustrating thing - this person has told me that I can't have the old number back because it was previously not in my name - the fact that the old number was at the same address apparently makes no difference!

She said she would put in a request for my landline to revert to its old number. She has taken my email and mobile number and promised me that I would be kept informed.  But she didn't seem to believe that it would work.

Does anyone have any advice about this please? I'd be grateful for any tips. Or do I just have to resign myself to a change of landline number however unnecessary it seems?

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Afternoon @jeh112, thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of this poor experience, but we would have to advise that porting the phone number from one Virgin Media account to another account is not possible.

Check out the envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me, and I'll look into what has been previous advised and ensure that this is fed back

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Afternoon @jeh112, thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of this poor experience, but we would have to advise that porting the phone number from one Virgin Media account to another account is not possible.

Check out the envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me, and I'll look into what has been previous advised and ensure that this is fed back

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Ali_pudsey
Joining in

Same ole story with me.

Promised i could ring customer services after new account was uprang fay after and they were.asking me who the 'old number'  was with??  Proper circus.

Explained it was live yesterday , not today so can I have it back.

A 'request' was put in by the operator and said I would have the number within a week or so.

Week later I get a text saying the old number is no longer active and unable to port from previous service provider..If customer service was a show, Virgin would be the Circus, namely the group of clowns.

Not what i was told by the Uk sales team and the Indian operator.

Service is a joke , non existent and you get fed BS from operators so they can hang up.