Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Porting home number from Sky

Hi, I am in the process of joining Virgin Media and received a text today from Virgin Media saying they were unable to port my home phone number over from Sky as the account had be de-activated. 
How can I retrieve my old phone number?

I didn’t realise Virgin Media would handle the number porting part themselves so I cancelled the service and my Sky Talk and Sky Fibre contract finished on Monday (although my Tv package has another couple of weeks left).

My family all across the world have this number to keep in touch but I don’t have theirs so if I lose the number I will lose contact. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Porting home number from Sky

The number goes back into Sky's pool, it's very difficult to get the number back. Virgin may be able to help but there's no guarantee 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andyghfc,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums

When porting a number over from one provider to another you would need to keep both lines open. 

If you sign up for Virgin Media and advise them that you would like to port the number over to us from Sky, we then would request the number to be released from Sky, which they would still be holding for you as they would still be providing the services for you. .

Once the port is complete this will cancel the phone line with Sky and the number port will have been completed over to Virgin Media. 

In this circumstance you will need to go back to Sky to ask them to reserve the number for you and then see if we're able to collect the number from them.

If you want to keep the number it would be best to be pro-active with this one as it could easily be issued to a new customer

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I called Sky yesterday and they said the number was released back to BT.

I then called BT who said I would have to get Virgin Media to resolve it.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Andyghfc wrote:

I called Sky yesterday and they said the number was released back to BT.

I then called BT who said I would have to get Virgin Media to resolve it.  

That is not good. That means it was not a Sky number in the first place (already ported out from BT). BT are under no obligation to reserve it as Skys lease has been terminated. VM cannot just take a number from the BT pool unless a BT customer is wanting to port it.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Would it be possible to sign up to BT to get the number back, get it ported to VM and then use the 14 day cooling off period to cancel the BT contract?

The home phone connection is all set up for BT so there would be no need for an engineer to come out so connection again should be fairly straight forward. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Nope, bt would just give you a random number from the pool

0 Kudos