cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from Sky & Help Alarms

handsomeinked
Up to speed

This is a random question and I suspect the answers will be no however here goes:

My mother needs more help nowadays so my mother and my husband and myself will be selling our respective properties to find a new place that is suitable for mulit-generational living. We will be buying somewhere on-net for VM however we will want to move my mother's current number over to our account IF VMs digital phone service supports safe and sound help alarms. Is this possible:

1. Is VM able to take over a number from sky that is currently in my mother's name?
  2. Is VM voice service compatible with help alarms (we have spoken to the provider and they support VoIP on OpenReach's network)? 

Thank you in advance

It’s always best to be positive but we all have crappy days.

VM Hub5 on Gig1, Etc etc

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Gig1
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi handsomeinked,

Thanks very much for your post and questions. We'll be more than happy to help.

1. Yes, we can port the number over, even if the account will be under a different name and address. We'd only need confirmation of the postcode where the number is currently registered and then we'd be able to request the port 😊 For number ports, we do need the landline service to remain active with your current provider until the port has completed, otherwise it can cause issues. 

2. We do support use of care/help alarms, however compatibility would depend on the alarm provider. Did they advise specifically that our network was not compatible? If you're not sure, I'd recommend getting back in touch with them and asking if they support our network (Diamond Cable).

Let us know

Beth

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi handsomeinked,

Thanks very much for your post and questions. We'll be more than happy to help.

1. Yes, we can port the number over, even if the account will be under a different name and address. We'd only need confirmation of the postcode where the number is currently registered and then we'd be able to request the port 😊 For number ports, we do need the landline service to remain active with your current provider until the port has completed, otherwise it can cause issues. 

2. We do support use of care/help alarms, however compatibility would depend on the alarm provider. Did they advise specifically that our network was not compatible? If you're not sure, I'd recommend getting back in touch with them and asking if they support our network (Diamond Cable).

Let us know

Beth

Thanks @Beth_G 

I will speak to safe and sound about VoIP support to see if they support your phone service or not, I would be surprised if they didn't. I take it you don't provide any analogue phone services at all?

VM Hub5 on Gig1, Etc etc

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@handsomeinked wrote:

Thanks @Beth_G 

I will speak to safe and sound about VoIP support to see if they support your phone service or not, I would be surprised if they didn't. I take it you don't provide any analogue phone services at all?

The present system is a hybrid. It still uses switched telephone exchanges, but these are connected to the customer via their internet hubs & not conventional sockets. Therefore the service is reliant on the local public electricity supply for operation. Virgin do offer an emergency backup line for vulnerable people, which consists of a conventional phone using a mobile SIM card. This operates on a different number to the installed home phone.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ah, that's really interesting didn't know it was still a switched exchange in the background. 

VM Hub5 on Gig1, Etc etc

Client62
Legend

How it works in the background is not the greatest concern to the end users.

What matters is the "care alarm" is going to be connected to an Analogue Phone socket on the back of a VM Hub.   You will not be connecting to a VOIP / SIP service via a network socket.

If you inform the care alarm company that the service is VOIP ( which it is not for the end user ) expect them to say either support is not possible with the existing kit or a different device is required.

VM have muddied the customers understanding by using the phrase VOIP, VM might be supporting the connection via VOIP, but that is not how the phone is connected by the customer. See below a regular BT style of plug is used via a small ( BT socket to RJ11 plug) adaptor. If a phone is also needed use a splitter.

Client62_0-1675089034687.jpegClient62_0-1677759295339.png

Thankfully safe and sound (Bradford council) do support VoIP and, I have an adapter to convert to BT standard socket. Although I also have plenty of RJ11 cables so don’t really NEED an adapter as both the alarm and phone my mother have you can swap the cables over. 

VM Hub5 on Gig1, Etc etc