cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting BT Business Line to Current Virgin Residential package

2PintsOfGuinnes
Tuning in

Morning

I currently have a residential Volt Gig1 package with you along with a Hub 4 in Modem Mode along with a couple of Virgin mobile phones.

I recently plugged my Virgin Landline into the back of this Hub when I was asked to do this by Virgin Media as part of their upgrade plan to VoIP calls, it was a seamless  transition and everything is working well.

My question is..... 

I also have a BT Business line in my property that is permanently  diverted to my Virgin Mobile. It only diverts, I only receive around 10-15 calls a month these days & I never make any calls from this line.

Would it be possible to port my business landline number from BT Business (BT contract expires on 26/05/23) to Virgin, add a landline to my package and just plug the  phone into the back of the Virgin Hub (There are 2 phone sockets on the back,1 in use) and keep my other phone going so I have 2 landline numbers with you?

Many thanks

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Have you considered porting the number to a proper VOIP provider like Andrews & Arnold or Sipgate.

This might be a lot less costly than being with a major ISP for a line with a low number of calls.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi 2PintsOfGuiness

Thanks for posting your landline query regarding porting your BT Business number over to your residential account. We appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums and welcome to the community.

In most circumstances, you can transfer a number directly from another provider with ease. However, it does depend on their own policies, so we'd recommend checking with BT before raising a request to bring your number over to us.

Please be aware though, our Residential Services aren't intended for use for a business and our Terms and Conditions, and Loss of Service guarantees differ from Virgin Media Business.

Rob

Hi Rob

Thank you for your reply.

The vast majority of my  business enquires  (I'm a sole trader) come via email these days. I have a few elderly clients who cannot use a computer or

smartphone and don't like ringing mobile phones so I have kept my landline going with BT for their benefit.

Is it possible (If this was a residential BT line)  to  bring this line over to plug it into my modem? Would it work alongside my current land line or not.

I just cant justify paying BT £150 a quarter for this redirection service that only serves a few clients.

As I have been with you for a very long time (Pre NTL days) I just wondered if you could give me some suggestions as BT

were not very helpful at all when I said I was thinking of leaving and tried to pressurise me into signing a new contract.

Many thanks

Simon 

I understand the urgency Simon, I will run this by a colleague to see if there is a definitive answer on this 🙂

Rob

Have you considered porting the number to a proper VOIP provider like Andrews & Arnold or Sipgate.

This might be a lot less costly than being with a major ISP for a line with a low number of calls.

Thanks for the tip, I may try this if Virgin don't get back to me, thanks.

Apologies for the delays, my colleague has confirmed there shouldn't be any issues with transferring a BT Business number over to a residential Virgin Media account.

The process would juts be the same as any other transfer of number 🙂

Rob

Hi Rob

Thank you for getting back to me, that's good news could you let me know how to begin this process (My contract ends on 26-05-23)

With suggested dates and which department at Virgin to contact if possible, as I know things have to be done carefully with this process and in a certain order so as I don't loose my current number.

Many thanks

Simon

Simon 

You can find all you need to know here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/keep-my-number Typically, once you place the order to add a landline, you will inform our team that you are looking to port the number from BT. You would also have to leave the BT line active until the port is complete.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Akua

Thank you for your reply.

One last question.......

Can you confirm that when the number gets ported across from BT and I  add this landline to my package, that I can just plug the  phone into the back of my current Virgin Hub 4 (There are 2 phone sockets on the back of this hub,1 in use) so I  keep my other phone going so I will then have 2 landline numbers with you?

What I cant have is Virgin saying that I need a new line or cable running installed.

Many thanks

Simon